Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG REMIX - Beyond Good & Evil - The Saturday Morning Cartoon

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Hermit_Homeboy polycounter lvl 8
This is my first time doing one of these challenges and, hell, this is probably my third post on Polycount. I'm fairly new here and I am loving the community so I'd jump in and enjoy the ride.

Anyway, I've decided to do one of my favourite games: Beyond Good & Evil :)

The game's art style is pretty dark and gritty which I would like to try and keep but I think I'm going to mix it up by trying to make seem more cel-shadey and cartoony like Wind Waker. It would seem more like a 90's Saturday morning cartoon, fitting in with Batman, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, and them.

beyond_good_and_evil.jpg

BGE_CA_01.jpg

bge_ca_051.jpgLighthouse.jpg

wind-waker-original-colors.jpg

Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-01.jpg

Replies

• Hermit_Homeboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking I'm not taking it far enough so I decided to remix it a little more by basing my textures on the comic book art style similar to Borderlands and Telltale's The Walking Dead.

borderlands-neu-005.jpg
    Borderlands-Art-Style-Influenced-Gameplay-Writing-2.jpg
    thewalkingdead.jpg
    the_walking_dead_ep2.jpg
  • Hermit_Homeboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So admittedly, compared to others I still have a long way to go. I have other projects I'm need to get done and it's taking priority over this but I'm determined to get as much of this project done as possible. I'm learning so much more new things from doing this :)
    I decided last week to scrap the comic book look because it's not going to show up clearly on low-res textures. To keep it remixed, I'm keeping Wind Waker's chibi, cartoony-yet-painterly style.

After some trial, errors, and experiments here's what I have of Jade: