Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just saw the vid for this, that's crayzeh XD
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    The Foundry and Pixologic should trade tech.

Pixo gives Zremesher in return for Modo's quick posing tools which is much quicker and intuitive than it's IK-less TransposeMaster.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing with it a bit. It has issues here and there, but this looks like it's going to be absolutely killer for prototyping ideas and generating base meshes. Fast, smooth and works as advertised!

This might rain down hell on the weekly sub-d challenge thread. :P
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WarrenM, tried fusing head parts? (sculpted mouth, eyelids to sockets, etc.)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No organics, yet, no. But I did do this in less than a minute ...

And that's all fully adjustable, editable (down to the face/edge/vert level), real time. I'm blown away.

Plus, you can tweak the chamfers at the connection points in real time, whenever you like.

2014-01-27%2015_26_58-Untitled_%20-%20modo.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Good God, man. Wow. I'm going to have to give this a try.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This may convince me to drop 2 grand on Modo and the plugin...but I need to see these high poly models baked down to a normal map with no artifacts for me to be sold.
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Quack! wrote: »
    This may convince me to drop 2 grand on Modo and the plugin...but I need to see these high poly models baked down to a normal map with no artifacts for me to be sold.

Makes me wonder if this will work with Modo Steam Edition... Because that's only $149 for those who don't yet have Modo! I'm not sure if Steam Edition is a full version though :P
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Drew++, nope. Will only work with Modo 701 service pack 4 which was just relased today. And according to Brad, the modo co-founder, even if you buy full version of Modo 801 later on you'll still have to buy mesh fusion as a separate plug-in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! - They're just meshes in the end so they bake as well as any other geometry.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Quack! - They're just meshes in the end so they bake as well as any other geometry.

I figured as much, but I was looking at their wireframes in one of the videos and the topology at some connections was very funky. I wasn't sure of the accuracy of it all. It would just be nice to see a fully baked version of a relatively complex mesh.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you post some more examples?
  • Pedro Amorim
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That might sound a little off-topic but ... I would love to know how the 3D "sketch" of the red helmet (seen at the beginning of the second video) was made in the first place, as it really is the base of the design and seems to have been done in another environment allowing for some very good boolean operations too. Maybe Groboto ? Ore some powerful CAD program ?)

(Also I cannot help but feel a bit annoyed when someone refers to a fully rendered 3D image or a painfully airbrushed 2D painting and calls it a "sketch". I find it oddly condescending. Sorry for the off-topic mini-rant, just had to mention it !!)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty crazy http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=84109

And yeah, Pior, I understand what you mean. It is a bit condescending calling that a sketch when it looks like a full blown illustration on its own.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think I *somehow* understand where it is coming from now : probably the assumption that something that looks "cool" must have been "effortless" and therefore must have been done fast, like a "sketch". It's still very weird tho, and a bit similar to artists bragging about how fast they work without reference, or calling their own complex paintings "quick sketches". It's as if hard work was something to be ashamed of. Odd !

Anyways - sorry for the rant again !

I cannot wait to see more MeshFusion examples that do not look like child-like boolean mashups ; that is to say, more stuff like that helmet and less toy planes made from spheres :D

Can a Meshfusion object be easily edited after the fact, with things like FFDs or control cages ?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This might rain down hell on the weekly sub-d challenge thread. :P
    It'd be pretty cool to see a comparison between doing the one object sub-d and again with MF; the bakes from both and time for each.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Wow... the future is here! I'm thinking Mesh fusion > Z-Remesher > Substance Painter. Oh the possibilities.

pior wrote: »
    I think I *somehow* understand where it is coming from now : probably the assumption that something that looks "cool" must have been "effortless" and therefore must have been done fast, like a "sketch". It's still very weird tho, and a bit similar to artists bragging about how fast they work without reference, or calling their own complex paintings "quick sketches". It's as if hard work was something to be ashamed of. Odd !

Anyways - sorry for the rant again !

I cannot wait to see more MeshFusion examples that do not look like child-like boolean mashups ; that is to say, more stuff like that helmet and less toy planes made from spheres :D

Can a Meshfusion object be easily edited after the fact, with things like FFDs or control cages ?

Looks like you will be in complete control of the mesh both before and after mesh fusion. Once you convert it to a regular polygon object you can use anything you like to edit it (like ffds). But from the looks of the tools inside of modo you can ffd pieces it while it's being meshed together.

Also the density of the object is something you define by how dense your "cutter" meshes are. By increasing the density of your objects that cut into or add together you will increase the accuracy of the shape and get rid of any artifacts.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I played around with it a bit tonight, and it's really cool. There were some limitations I ran into that I would need some more time to figure out what was going on. You can see there are some minor holes in my meshes where I let the strips from different cutter/union meshes get too close. I tried to add another torus to the back circular element and it was freaking out on me. It could be that I need to change the way some of the operands (i think that;s the word) are ordered.

Yeah, you can use modo's falloffs to manipulate the cutters and you can extrude sections of the cutters or do any other modeling operation.

I've got to hit the hay, but if you all have any questions I can try and help answer them.

dschultz_meshfusion_test.JPG
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    This plugin really looks sweet! I am not Modo user but I think I might become one very soon.
    All depends what will Autodesk bring on the table this year in 2015 releases.
    With founding modeling team in Maya last year that followed with modeling toolkit and announcing openSubdivs (which, in my opinion, might bring new array of modeling tools), AD bought themselves another year.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick test to see how feeding meshes to ZRemesher/DecimationMaster works out. Pretty well, it turns out! And this is all button clicking with default options ... no guides or sliders necessary.

Facebook%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox_2014-01-28_07-34-27.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Warren, when did you start using the new plugin? Nice comparison there :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It just came out yesterday so ... since yesterday! I wasn't in the beta or anything.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got to ask, what's the topology look like at intersections? How do the fillets behave in terms of polygon flow? Is there any chance that using a bit of clever setup and ingenuity you could get a perfectly quad-ed mesh out of mesh fusion? From a few of the videos I saw it looks like you'll need to retopologize after freezing the mesh.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I also have a question - I know there's a whole thread dedicated to Modo, but wondered how the modeling is compared to Max? I've been using Maya for years but mainly do modeling/texturing and hardly do any rigging or animation, so would prefer something more modeling focused.

I know people praise Modo for its modeling tools but after seeing stuff in Max like renderable curve or plugins like this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmuU-OnSiI"]Rappatools 3.1 - YouTube[/ame] it can be a hard choice :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The meshes generally look great for baking. You won't want to use them as game geometry but the smoothing is set up perfectly and the edges are great most of the time.

The strips that form the connections between meshes are often NOT perfectly stitched to the geo around them which means once you freeze the mesh you probably don't want to futz with it too much or you'll break your smoothing and/or introduce little cracks and seams.

Basically, it creates great geo for baking from ... not geo that you'd want to actually work with afterwards. It gets cleaner if you use ZBrush to ZRemesher it up but still ... you need to think of the output from MeshFusion as baking fodder.

IMO anyway. And that's not a problem, that's what I intend to use it for...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling in Modo as compared to Max goes something like:

- no FFDs
    - no splines
    - no modifier stack

However, Modo works better in a lot of ways and the app has advantages like being easily customizable (hot keys, forms, pie menus, macros, scripts, etc) and not looking like an application developed 15 years ago. :P
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I have been interested in trying Modo for awhile, and this plugin does many things that I've been wishing for the past couple of years. It's too bad modo doesn't have a low cost non-commercial license available.

I do wonder with the advancements in auto-topo if we won't see "nicer" topology in the future for this plugin. Would probably take a ton of processing power, but perhaps it could create curves on the fly from intersections and use those to route topology similar to zremesher or 3d coat.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Torch, you can render curves into polys and there are also a tube tool and an editable spline tool (bezier, linear, pen) that can do those tubular connections in your posts video.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/tv/training/view.aspx?id=689

Major difference with Max is it's not live and editable after "dropping" the tool or switching to another tool. In Max you can fatten or poly reduce a spline tube anytime unless you flatten your stack.

In modo, it'll be a pain tweaking your hoses or cables. You'd probably just let zbrush do your tubes if you have zbrush and modo.
  • Christian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Fischer polycounter lvl 5
    maybe a stupid question but does mesh fusion work with edge weighting?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    /summon Adam

Warren: Wires!

/dismiss Adam
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next time I do something, I'll grab some wire shots. I haven't kept anything I've done yet. :P
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe a stupid question but does mesh fusion work with edge weighting?

not that Ive been able to work out
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not my wires, but a quick shot of someone elses. A sphere subtracted from a cylinder. You can see the edge strips it lays in pretty clearly. Those strips are also changeable at any time so you can tweak the size, the tightness, and other things.

2014-01-28%2013_04_34-The%20Foundry%20Community%20__%20Forums%20__%20fusion%20bits.jpg
  • WarrenM
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those wires actually aren't bad at all Warren! Far from perfect but really not as bad as I was expecting.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Installed Modo 7.01 SP4. Ok lets try this out. Go to Mesh Fusion page. 300 bucks. No trial. Back to 3DS Max I go.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $300 for saving me thousands of tedious man hours doing sub-d seems worth it to me, but YMMV. :P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    WarrenM I totally agree but i am currently just testing out Modo at work to see if it is something I would switch to. Was hoping to try the plug in to see if I will use it over other things. I am sure I would but 300 is a bit steep for guess work.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, they should have a demo. Maybe they will once the early sales cycle is done...
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    @Jesse Moody, i got pretty much comfortable with Modo after less than 5 days in it, looks like i will be only using it for modeling from now on. The only drawback is that Modo will be sluggish and slow with some meshes.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    old-man-crying-gif.gif

The days of spontaneous hard surface doodles are upon us.
    I'm glad I learned Modo last year, being a Max/Maya user it did take a while to get used to Modo's conventions, and I hated most of the default settings.

That being said, if you take your time and customize it(and install a few scripts), it become one beast of a modelling package. Will try that plugin soon and hope that comes natively in 801(and hope the price doesnt skyrocket).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they said already it won't be bundled in 801. It's not theirs, it belongs to Braid Labs. They are just selling the plugin...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Mesh Fusion was the one thing tempting me to switch from Max.

But this is a killer for me:
    Modeling in Modo as compared to Max goes something like:

- no FFDs

Is there nothing comparable to FFDs in Modo? Some kind of control cage to slap on top of polygon selections or models?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is falloffs, which in my opinion are way better then ffds :P
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    MDiamond wrote: »
    The days of spontaneous hard surface doodles are upon us.
    I'm glad I learned Modo last year, being a Max/Maya user it did take a while to get used to Modo's conventions, and I hated most of the default settings.

That being said, if you take your time and customize it(and install a few scripts), it become one beast of a modelling package. Will try that plugin soon and hope that comes natively in 801(and hope the price doesnt skyrocket).

Pfff. The better fix damn axis conversion for FBX export ;/
    Sorry for rant, but because of that small issue I just can't force my self to learn modo properly ;/.

Other than that, plugin is mind boggling. It will definitely make modelling in mode even better than before.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Pfff. The better fix damn axis conversion for FBX export ;/
    Sorry for rant, but because of that small issue I just can't force my self to learn modo properly ;/.

Other than that, plugin is mind boggling. It will definitely make modelling in mode even better than before.

Yeah, Modo still has some cringeworthy shortcomings, but it is getting better, hopefully.