Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - The Secret of Monkey Island

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
hopgood polycounter lvl 12
Hi,

Ill be working on a scene from The Secret of Monkey Island, more specifically the Scumm Bar. I am looking to go for a mix of the Special Edition and Curse of Monkey Island style. Since I don't feel I will be mixing up the style too much and the scene is quite large I am hoping to come up with a creative way to display it.

Here are some reference images;

g9jfgH0.jpg
KKnexXc.png
9prAu1v.jpg
CgdjY5g.png

Replies

• hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lo Poly Guybrush sitting at ~506 Tri's with a quick doodle Diffuse I through together to check the UV's

VO1Fyb0.jpg
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on Guybrush's Texture. First low poly texturing I have ever really done, its actually a lot harder than it looks!

[SKETCHFAB]baa73857320f4295afce45586afd55c8[/SKETCHFAB]

I've also worked on the three Important Looking Pirates.

Fo3JiRE.jpg

I've had a few ideas of how I can display the scene and ill update the thread later with some concepts.
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    I really like the way these are coming along--especially Guybrush's texture right now.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Nailed it! Keep going
    I really miss monkey island
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Important Looking Pirate #1 (Red)

[SKETCHFAB]8bc9bae501b44fd3a09b1fba84a8cc85[/SKETCHFAB]
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    woah this is looking really good. I love how you're using transparency on the hands.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. The hands are actually not using any transparency, they're individual fingers for the thumb and pointer and then 2 planes for the rest. In the scene the pirates are quite animated (as well as holding GROG!) so I wanted to have as much control as I could.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Important Pirate #2 (Green)

[SKETCHFAB]3d25f1b0692444ad89835f60df3ce445[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress on Important looking Pirate #3 (Blue)

[SKETCHFAB]f43ea2338e994f14951eb3fe24caf066[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really quick mock up of a possible end product of the diorama. I spent a while trying to think of the best way to display the scene and decided that perhaps a vertical style would be a bit different and creative. Given personal time constraints I am going to go for the main section first, the Three Important Pirates and Guybrush and then evaluate if I have time to complete the rest of the diorama.

As always feedback is appreciated

[SKETCHFAB]b682270420d243fca44169f97acf7365[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im still deciding on how to organise the diorama. Going between a smallish SCUMM bar and a series of smaller dioramas in one representing the three trials you first embark on. But for this update here are the 3 pirates.

[SKETCHFAB]1d2dd29f106b429fac639818cf8a46e7[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a quick sketchfab of my layout so far

[SKETCHFAB]7a2a6eaee2094d04afe9c3248048b5ed[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with Kitchen

[SKETCHFAB]63f9a34b584c4eaeb276b0dc67ba9a36[/SKETCHFAB]

To do;

Dog, Fireplace, Doors, Windows.

Chef.

A way to do a Generic Pirate texture yet not have it look too samey. I won't be filling out the bar 1:1 as it is in the original but I would like to have some action going on there
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Damn, thats so awesome.

The diarama layout itself might need some adjustments, currently the back is very boring.
    Have you thought about twisting the room on the right round to give something to look at at the back of the piece rather than blank walls?
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    This is my favourite so far! I looooove your textures
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the back walls I had just recently removed, I am planning to reuse the Floor board texture re-orientated to run vertically as kind of an outdoor panelling texture a long with the doors and windows I think it will look ok but I will fiddle around with that this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • JuanG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this one too much. Monkey Island is great, and this diorama is very cool. Good luck, Guybrush!:thumbup:
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a quick play around with solutions to the backface of the diorama and tried to find something that fit in with the feel of the original scene. I'm just using re-coloured floorboards for now but I might try to do something a bit different (Shingles?) to diversify it a little bit.

I've moved a bunch of smaller items 64px items onto a 2x2 128px texture to avoid the texture limit in Sketchfab too.

I am not quite sold on the Chandeliers, I want them to work so I can try for the swinging drunk pirate in the first room and really add some livelyness to that area but at the moment they strike me as UFO's.

If you are wondering Guybrush is holding up placeholders for the 2 cotton tshirts and the idol that are the keys to finishing the 3 Trials, the start of his journey to becoming a pirate.

[SKETCHFAB]41992d97a52242c2bebfcc5933537606[/SKETCHFAB]
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update;

Got some smaller items finished today (Dog, Doors, Trophies) as well as working on the Chandelier, Dock and Fireplace texture but I have to shift them onto a combined texture sheet tomorrow.

Left to do;

Chef
    Two generic Pirates. In order to fill out the scene I am going to model two generic looking pirate models and include a few different items on their texture sheet. I can them mix and match them in order to fill out the seats without it looking repetitive.

[SKETCHFAB]7a3ccc07b16f422c8d616b990760fb46[/SKETCHFAB]
  • JuanG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, look!! Threepwood has got the treasure of M
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Created and rigged up two generic pirates for use in the scene. Each sits at ~400 Tri's without accessories and I created a few minor things (hats, eyepatches, beards) that I can switch around and keep them individually around 500 Tri's. This gives me two different coloured pirates and a range of accessories in order to add some variety.

I've also created and posed the chef as well as tweaking a few existing textures. Hopefully tomorrows update will be more finished texture heavy.

[SKETCHFAB]b1fd24d4539b4e938d39629ef9e55829[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    Fun composition. love the game and this style. Good work :)
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    It's starting to come together.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big update today. Worked on shadow, faked lighting and the remaining textures I needed to do.

I think I will rework the outdoor wall texture, not too happy with how it looks and I may go for something more like shingles. Aside from a final texture touch up I am pretty happy with how things are looking so far.

[SKETCHFAB]7a30a64ff1c843d9a37243dced6b25f8[/SKETCHFAB]
  • clawhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man, this looks great! Can't wait to see your texture sheets.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smaller update today with revised outdoor texture and some cleaned up alphas. Moved some shadows around and started thinking about my presentation shots.

[SKETCHFAB]2423fd80df03414eaf41488660a04bb4[/SKETCHFAB]

Here is my texture sheet too;

CdYvNnE.jpg
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All done, Good luck to all the fellow entries!

Sketchfab:
    [SKETCHFAB]cb7c50be46bb4bebb47a5c0d78c5e576[/SKETCHFAB]

Beauty Images:
    xTmPthM.jpg
    SQdIKwU.jpg
    EodOXdh.jpg