Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Nambu Type 14 Japanese Pistol

KnechtRuprecht
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
Hey Guys,
currently working on a Type 14 pistol. Will paint in the missing details into the normal map the oldschool way. Please rip this thing apart with critic lol

897kD48.jpg

Replies

• KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok finished the lowpoly. Could cut down the polycount to 3334 faces. Any tips how to improve this?
    4hgKlmg.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some minor points, pending the texture:
    * The magazine catch passes entirely through the grip, appearing on both sides, not just the left.
    14_Nambu%20Type%2014%20pistol.%20field%20stripped.JPG
    * The bullets should be rounder, almost hemispherical. (The picture compares the nambu's 8mm vs. a standard 9mm parabellum).
    14_Ammo.JPG
    * If you are looking to reduce the polycount, you can probably trim some excess polys from the lanyard ring and attachement, the grip screws, and the magazine release. The trigger and trigger guard also have a central seam which you can also eliminate, saving another hundred or so polys. As always, try to look at it in-game to see which details are never visible and which need additional smoothing; even with today's very generous budgets, it still doesn't make sense to add details that are never visible.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking good. Maybe a little much for one picture for the HP

Just dont reduce the polys on the ring, nothing turns more off than a circular shape with not enough polys, especially if its for portfolio usage

Funny how hard they copied the Luger from the germans.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake finished and initial color blockout
    O0iWjF7.jpg
  • MoeSki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you provide a poly count?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @ Moeski:
    Ok finished the lowpoly. Could cut down the polycount to 3334 faces. Any tips how to improve this?

@ The model. bake looks fairly clean, But I'm not sure i feel the dents/dings you have in the normals. I'd tone those down and keep them away from the edges. I like the idea, But assuming its a Ndo or normal addition, i think it could use some tweaking :) looking forward to seeing the texture develop.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique!
    Yeah these bumps are quite strong, i will tone them down a lot.
    And i made a mistake with the polycount. I posted the polycount of the mixed quad/tri mesh. So here is the right one. Tricount is 6004 tris.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The normals where the barrel enlarges to meet the chamber seem a bit off, causing some odd shading in that transitional curve. There is also some pinching on the rear edge of the receiver.

As far as reducing the polygons - you can save a few hundred by removing the holes in the grip and allowing the normal map to handle the shading. Unless the lanyard ring serves a purpose, you can probably safely remove it; it does seem rather meaningless without a lanyard. You can probably simplify the cocking piece - the images I've seen look more like a cylinder within three flattened cylinders, without the expensive fillets. And always try to look at it in-game; if you can't see a detail when playing, you can probably eliminate it.

2-8-12-045.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, fixed :)
    A little Update. Not too happy with the base dark metal yet. Any tips to improve it?
    I know, the edgewear is missing, but i want the base as perfect as possible.
    And... what HDR map do you use in Marmoset? Its very difficult to me, to find the perfect metal, if it changes all the time with the lighting. I use Pisa atm.
    xmCc3Nq.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal on the safety, magazine release and the trigger look more like plastic than metal. Also, all of the external metal parts should use the same material.

The grain of the wood should run parallel to the long axis of the grip, and the grooves should be much darker.

The wear from the safety in the following image is a bit extreme, but not unusual. Also note the depth of the wood grain, and the numerous small gouges, especially along the leading edge.

PR23872C__89470.1370372865.1280.1280.JPG
    The inscribed text seems too deep - if it's in the diffuse as well as the normal map, you can probably just change the color from black to gray.

You should tone down the noise overlay on the slide, and possibly add a slight brushed steel effect running along the length of the slide.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :D
    I haven't touched the chrome parts yet and i added the brass parts for some interesting color variation. But yeah you are right it is too extreme. I will tone it down.
    I will also add the damage from the safety later, but first i want to define the base metal as good as possible. The wood is also very WIP atm. I added the symbols in nDo so toning down is no problem :)
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    Nearly done i think. Only the chrome and the messing need more love, and of coure the scratch of the safety lever :)
    roEQPKn.jpgeLPnpSw.jpg
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have finished it!
    pZZbeXQ.jpg
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow ! He's awesome !

Edit: Oh I'm sorry the high poly wasn't up for me. Everything is nice :D
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    HP and LP are showing up for me.

Latest update is looking good. I'd give the lighter metal (bottom of mag mainly) some love. Looking a little flat/plain atm.

Love the colors in the dark metals. Finger prints could be a bit subtler though. And typicaly, I beleive finger prints are glossier, and higher on the spec than the metal they are one. Depending on whether your emulating oil, or emulating someones skin having been burnt onto hot metal. The latter may apear black/darker.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :D
    @Chillydog i had some reference with the grooves going only up half way of the grip. Might be some cheaper, late war model.
    @s6 Thanks for pointing that out. Will use this knowledge in the next project!