Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leather armor

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    It looks neat, cant help but feel like the leather texture is competing out the edges, maybe a tad noisy. Mostly visible on the boots but doesnt seem like it's gotten the same AO as the top yet. Still, good looking armor design =)
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow you got some nice things going on here! I really like the shapes and flow the armor has. There's a nice attention to detail.

The main thing that isn't really selling it for me is the texture; It's very generic and repetitive looking. Everything has that bumpy look to it and it's all pretty much the same color.

Some things that might help:

I'd suggest going with some large color changes as well as some minor ones throughout the armor. Make certain pieces of the armor darker finishes and lighter finishes and redder finishes. Also within each piece of leather there will be a degree of color variation depending on the areas that receive the most wear. More worn and rubbed areas will get shinier and darker developing what is called a patina.

Leather scratches really really easily and even the lightest of nicks will show up. I'd expect the shoulders, knees, elbows, and boots to show lots of wear.

Also it'd look a little more realistic/plausible if some pieces of the armor were thicker in areas. Like having the belt around the hips have some thickness to it and the belts on the forearms and the shins of the boots. It's hard to tell right now if these areas have any thickness to them. Pushing the overlap in the texture can help with this. Lighten the pieces on top and darken the ones behind a little. Kinda like an AO map.

Hope this is helpful! Keep at it!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    I like it, the wear on the shoulders is good, and the greaves are by far the best but aesthetically it's a little flat I feel. The boots have a very plain silhouette compared to the rest of the armor and the underlying fabric around the arms feels a little bare. I'd be tempted to add some straps to the back or flare the collar a little to give it more of a distinctive feel.
  • sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sparrow polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Looking really nice. I love how it all flows into each other.

My feed back is everything looks flat. you could pull the silhouette ot a bit more. manly on the boots, the leg and the boots looked joined. maybe pulling the bottom of the leg out a bit where it joins to the boots so it give more of a feel of cloth draping over the boot. Also I would be inclined to make the leather texture smaller. Also maybe adding some different colors to the leather. because the leather wouldn't be all the same some part might be a different part of the animal and it migth also not be the same animal.

you can see in the image what i mean about adding differnt colors even though its all leather it has differnt tones of browns reds and a bit of green.

orckish_leather_armor_by_zapan99-d30gkjn.jpg

Keep up the good work.
  • shuboba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shuboba polycounter lvl 12
    It's my first work related to character :) Thank you all for the comments I really appreciate it !!! :)