Home Technical Talk

Another Zbrush workflow issue

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
OK, I'm in a situation of my own making because of lack of planning.
I have a nice highpoly sculpt in Zbrush. It's a dynamesh object so there are no lower detail versions.
I would like to make a game rez version of this but there is the issue of UVmapping the high so that I can transfer polypaint info to a low rez. I have too may polies for UV master.

If I do a UV mapped retopology and import it into Zbrush, will I be able to use UV master to copy the UVs from the low Rez and transfer to the High Rez?

The end result I'm looking for is take both the high and low into Xnormal and transfer all mapping info, including diffuse.
Am I on the right path here or is there an easier way?

Replies

• Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    If you are trying to UV the high res for the diffuse you dont need to. Xnormal will bake polypaint to low res uv mapped model.

In Xnormal check "Bake highpoly's vertex color" in the baking options. Make sure in the high definition mesh that the "Ignore per-vertex-color" option is unchecked then you will get the poly paint to transfer to low poly.

If you try to bake the AO map with the "Ignore per-vertex-color" unchecked it will not bake correctly. So I usually bake the diffuse map by itself then bake norm ao and others.

The other option is to make low poly with uv bring back into zbrush as subtool of high poly and use project to transfer sculpt and polypaint info. This can be hit or miss and may need some cleanup with the zproject brush. You will have better success projecting each subdivision level instead of trying to do it all at the highest level.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    WOOT!! thanks for the sage advice there.
    I didn't know you could do that with Xnormal. That's going to save me a lot of work!
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Me either! I thought you were stuck baking in zbrush. Thanks!
  • ignamatador150
    You saved my ass as well, great info, thanks!