Home Unreal Engine

boost light bounce ?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nexam polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone !

My first post here, so i hope it's ok to begin with a question :)

I have some problem to configure the light for my scene in UDK. I make a map with both interior and exterior. I use a DominantDirectionalLight for the sun, placed my LightmassImportance volume, etc...

I try to increase the number of bounces and some parameters... the light bounce a little, but it's just not enough. I'm stuck :/

toodark.jpg

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    increase indirect lighting in your dominant directional
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Or increase the Diffuseboost in your lightmass settings.
  • Nexam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexam polycounter lvl 5
    Already did it :/

My settings:

toodark2.jpg

the LightMass Importance Volume:

toodark3.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It looks like your environment color (world properties > lightmass > environnment color) is black, try to push it a bit with a very low blue. Also, inside the world properties you can increase the number of bounces, default is 3. Be careful because it will increase the compilation time with high values.
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    Is it Dynamic? If yes - check temple level from epic, they have solution with regular directional light for additional sky bounce.
    If static - You could change indirect values in dominant light properties or simplest is just add extra bounce lights. You can use additional lighting channels for bounce lights and house if you want to affect only house model.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    What color is the underside of the ceiling? Post some pics from Lit only mode. Also you can turn down the bounces alot, 12 is way overkill :P
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can also turn up the diffuse boost on the floor material and this will increase the amount of reflected rays from the lights hitting that material.
  • Nexam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexam polycounter lvl 5
    thanks a lot for all you reply. I solve a part of the problem by reducing a lot the Lightmass Importance volume. Now it fit the house (and not the whole landscape).

I rebuilt with production light, here some screenshot:

Light Only:
    light_only.jpg

Unlit:
    unlit.jpg

Texel:
    texel.jpg

full render:
    Lit_exterior.jpg

Interior, light only:
    light_only_interior.jpg

The problem is to have a nice exterior light as well as a nice interior. If i increase a lot the diffuse boost & Co, my interior will be ok, but my exterior will be a way to bright, with too much bounce... if not, the interior is to dark.

I will try with full dynamic light, but i prefer the realism the lightmass give to the scene.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just drop in some fill lights indoors, you cant relie on light mass to do enough bounces to light that indoor room up, and in real-life that room would be quite dark as well
  • Nexam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexam polycounter lvl 5
    Darker than the exterior, that's true. But eyes' adaptation help you to see well inside :)

I saw a video with eye adaptation, maybe i should try that to get more brightness inside.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjcTWRzRPQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjcTWRzRPQ[/ame]
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    Nexam wrote: »

Interior, light only:
    light_only_interior.jpg

The problem is to have a nice exterior light as well as a nice interior. If i increase a lot the diffuse boost & Co, my interior will be ok, but my exterior will be a way to bright, with too much bounce... if not, the interior is to dark.

I will try with full dynamic light, but i prefer the realism the lightmass give to the scene.

You need to simulate sky lighting by adding emissive meshes to windows. Then just make them b_hidden in game/ As well adding post process volume with custom tonemap scale will give you right exposure.

What you could try is making your exterior looking right with the low tonemap scale (0,5), and use post process volume with 1+ tonemap scale inside the house.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Nexam wrote: »
    Darker than the exterior, that's true. But eyes' adaptation help you to see well inside :)

I saw a video with eye adaptation, maybe i should try that to get more brightness inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjcTWRzRPQ

a way you can simulate this is to leave the room pretty dark but put a post process volume around the room - then adjust the post process volume brightness so that it's increasing the brightness of the mid tones. Increase the fade in time to suit.

This way when you walk into the room it'll appear dark from outside - but when you go in there it'll fade up to a brighter intensity just like real life.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    a way you can simulate this is to leave the room pretty dark but put a post process volume around the room - then adjust the post process volume brightness so that it's increasing the brightness of the mid tones. Increase the fade in time to suit.

This way when you walk into the room it'll appear dark from outside - but when you go in there it'll fade up to a brighter intensity just like real life.

kinda simulating what hdr in source engine does on it;ls own