Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Favela Art Test WIP

Hey all,

I was recently assigned an art test that didn't require an NDA and I thought I would share my progress on here (and hopefully get some feedback). The requirements are:
You must model a Favela house along with a stair on the side and a palm tree (other props are optional).

You are free to use whatever reference you want and choose the structure of Favela you want but here is some below to give you an idea.

You will need to respect the following restrictions :

- You have to model the whole scene in less than 1000 triangles
- Respect the pixel density of 64 pixels per meter
- You can’t use more than two 512 x 512 textures
- You also need to provide us a mid day light map (around 2pm)
- We want the style of the model and texturing to be realistic

Here's what I've got modeled so far, at 863 triangles:

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think you're wasting quite a few polies on the small bevels of the the stairs. Conversely, the palm tree could use a few more loops.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Use the remaining polys for trashcans and stuff like that, its those small things making it nice
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with that Snader said. You are also spending way too many polies on the roof.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Honestly, to me an art test is a way for the company to gauge what you as an artist can do, and what sort of choices you make when modelling/texturing...not having an NDA doesn't mean ask the internet for help. Best of luck man, but I'm not sure this thread is a good idea.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Too many on the roof and stairs for sure. When working with a tight budget you need to use really really big strokes creating something, making every poly count. And yes it's also what seth. said. Might not be the best of ideas to post art-tests here unless told that it's alright.

Either way, good luck!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I look at test of all sorts as learning experiences, so I think posting a test is fine. Having said that, I would recommend doing the test FIRST, submitting it, and then posting it here and asking for advice on what to do the next time.

The temptation to get help as you're doing the test is strong, but you really should stand or fall on your own merits. Very few people bat 1000 on employment tests (or interviews), but most successful people will try to improve after each... less-than-perfect attempt.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed DWalker. I think that once the test is submitted then there's nothing wrong with posting it up for a post mortem session, sorry I wasn't very clear on that....I just think that before its submitted is a bit cheeky :)
  • Raxteran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker - I just finished school so I'm still accustomed to asking professors and peers for critiques. I hadn't really considered it, but your point is definitely valid. I'm going to tackle the rest of this on my own and report back with the results. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, though.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    cool! be interested to see what ya come up with.. How long do you have to work on it/when is it due?
  • Raxteran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had one week to submit it and finished it after ~30 hours of work (including some time spent refreshing myself on 3D Studio Max. As it has now been submitted, I'd like to post the final results here to see what you guys think I can do better for next time. The final scene came in at 984 triangles:

aDTkrsU.jpg
    z1g4lJB.jpg
    0Av5iPY.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    pretty cool man, i also just submitted an art test for them too. Nice to see someone elses take on it. I did things a little different to save some tri's here and there, but i like your style. Good luck!