Home Technical Talk

reflections in marmoset?

zombie420
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
Is there a way to get reflections in Marmoset Toolbag? I was using dDo and it looks like I can get reflections in the Marmoset preview (now with skybox) but in Marmoset actual, it looks like all the skybox does for me is create light based on my cube map?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think in Marmoset, you have reflections by default. Because as I know its specular system is based on cubemaps. But this is easy to check out. Use white specular map with white glossiness map. Or use the maximum possible value for specular and glossiness.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, maybe I unchecked the tick box and the settings carried over from previous projects. What tick box needs to be toggled because right now my reflections are disabled?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    "Use Specularity" in the material.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, check the "Use Specularity" checkbox. The Glossiness(Specular Sharpness) controls the strength of the cubemap. If you want to use a specific Gloss map, put it in the alpha of the spec map and Marmoset will recognize it.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I place a cube in Marmoset. The diffuse is pure black, the specular is pure white and the alpha within the spec (the gloss map) is also pure white. Together they give my mesh a chrome surface but regardless, I do not have any reflections. I even tried enabling the skybox, thinking reflections were linked to that?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset Toolbag 1 does not support realtime reflections, ie: one part of your model will not reflect on another part of it.

It does however support cubemap based specular reflections, as the default lighting method uses image based lighting, that will reflect the lighting environment.

More on the lighting system and setting up materials here:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
    and
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/lighting

If you're still having problems after reading these articles please post some images of your model. Keep in mind that if you're loading a gloss map (which goes in the specular map's alpha channel) that you should set the specular sharpness to the max value, so the gloss map can control the full range of glossiness.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Marmoset Toolbag 1 does not support realtime reflections, ie: one part of your model will not reflect on another part of it.

it would be awesome if version 2 had some sort of fake realtime reflections like screen space reflection in cryengine.

for now, you can try faking it by duplicating the mesh and mirroring it to the ground, but would only work for ground reflection.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    it would be awesome if version 2 had some sort of fake realtime reflections like screen space reflection in cryengine.

for now, you can try faking it by duplicating the mesh and mirroring it to the ground, but would only work for ground reflection.

Oh yeah it would be awesome.

Also, it totally does. =D
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    :) oh man, i cant wait to use it.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Also, it totally does. =D

35hl6t.jpg
  • Xenier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i'm having the same issue as OP. I have a custom sky, gloss is white in the alpha of a white spec map, on a dark grey diffuse. The spec intensity is around 3 and the spec sharpness is maxed out and the best reflection i'm getting is: issue_03_zpsfc878965.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenier: The problem here with using a flat plane like this is that the normals of the mesh are facing in only one direction, so you're only sampling a very small portion of the cube map. Try a sphere or really any shape other than a flat plane.

This is also compounded by the fact that the max specular sharpness/glossiness is still fairly blurry, which is a technical constraint with Toolbag 1, though it will be resolved in Toolbag 2.

tb1reflection.jpg
  • Xenier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so would increasing the polycount of the floor help at all or would the directions of the normal need to change? I want a reflective floor in an environment, any suggestions on how to accomplish that?
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Xenier wrote: »
    so would increasing the polycount of the floor help at all or would the directions of the normal need to change?

Increasing the tri count doesn't change the shape. You're still only getting reflections on a flat plane. Refer to the image example in EarthQuake's post. The cube and plane don't have as much detail in the reflections compared to the sphere and cylinder.
    I want a reflective floor in an environment, any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Your spec map controls the brightness of the reflections and your gloss map controls the sharpness of them. Play around with them for a while.
    Also, your reflective floor will only be able to get reflections from the cube maps and lights but not your models.

You will not be able to create a mirror in Marmoset just from controlling reflection level and glossiness. From EarthQuake's post, the images are near as sharp reflections as you can get.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    when are we going to get sharper reflections? I don't care about it reflecting it self at the moment, but i would like to sharper reflections on my models like my Dive helmet.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    In Toolbag 2, once they release it, all they've said is they are working on it. There's a lot of features they want to add.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so would increasing the polycount of the floor help at all or would the directions of the normal need to change? I want a reflective floor in an environment, any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Unfortunately what you really want is some sort of real time reflection feature which is not available in Marmoset Toolbag 1. Upping the polycount of the floor will not help, the floor will only ever reflect the section of the cube map that it currently does, the scale of the object is more important than the density of the geometry, for instance if you zoom in and fill the screen with your floor plane, you will see more of the cube map reflected in it.