Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Udk alleyway environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bart Spellson polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone! I'm a new user to Polycount and wanted to start to share my first true project from UDK to get advices and reach out for help. I'm learning all of this on my own through some tutorials.
Most of the softwares I use are 3ds max, ndo, and Photoshop. I'll experiment with Zbrush soon to create some rocks and some other stuff. I hope to hear from you guys soon about my work. cya !

zHzc0hd.jpg
Y0DDGtX.jpg

Replies

• MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    cool start man. Sounds like you're enjoying making this. A few things stand out to me so if you don't mind, here they are:

1. I think your ambient light could be raised a little, those almost pitch black shadows under the awning on the right feels a little too dark.

2. Be careful with your depth of field. This is something i see a lot in scenes and its usually a bit overdone, like the viewer needs glasses or something. I'd tone that down a lot.

3. Consistency in pixel density. This is a tricky one but if you nail it your scene will look a ton better. Having some areas really crisp and others really blurry can really hurt the belivability of your scene.

For instance, the 3-4 brick textures in your scene all have drastically different scale. The bricks on the right are almost 2-3 times as big as the ones on the left wall. And the white ones you see in the center right are huge. Also looks like the ones on the center left wall are squashed, like they're almost square.

I am guessing you want the white ones on the center right to be more like large stone wall pieces so i suggest you drop the brick texture you have there and dig up something that's more appropriate.

material on the dumpster also looks a bit off, almost like a concrete texture. Try finding a clean painted metal texture and build up some wear and tear where it makes sense, like around hinges, or where it would collide with other objects like around corners etc.

All in all you're on the right track composition wise. You have everything placed in the scene that you need. I think you just need to go in and focus on each of these elements separately and really polish things up.

Hope this helps!

-Martin
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great.
    Two things that jump out to me:

>Your materials are geared towards a very realistic look but your geometry betrays it at spots. Everything is very geometric and has lots of straight lines.
    If your geo count can afford it, try to break these areas up a bit.
    The building on the right will be ok, but your garbage area, the power/phone mast will be more weathered. Also, the building on the right looks like the bricks where placed by hand and would therefore also have some imperfections.

>The weathering on the bright building by the steps makes no sense to me.
    Why would the plaster have come off where it did?
    I would maybe leave the top one as something might have struck that area and move the bottom one all the way to the bottom. People may have propped objects up against that area and plaster has fallen off as a result.

Hope this helps.
    Can't wait to see more :)
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thank you for your advices. That's really helpful. I'm going to work on those details and I'll keep you guys updated.
  • Bart Spellson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys ! So after your advices, I have been working on my alleyway trying to improve it. As you can see I still have to work on the bright building as the material on the dumpster.
    For the background, I'm thinking about making something else this is why it's empty for the moment.

I decided to completely change the white wall ones on the center right and the electric pole.
    I used Zbrush for this one and I tried to bake trough Xnormal.

Also I'm using the vertex paint technique for most of the textures. I uploaded a picture of it of the left building to see if the way I'm doing it it's correct and if you have any suggestion about it.

So let me know what do you think about it, if it's better or not.
    I hope to hear from you guys soon.
    cya.

GWgRY4h.jpg
    wDqzKxK.jpg
    udrUA1k.jpg