Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg/Soldier Character

Hi :)
This is my first post here so I'm gunna give a bit of background info on myself and then post the character.

Hi im Danny, im a Game Artist with a FD and BA Degree in Game Art.
I live in north west england, and am currently looking for work within the industry. I am currently part of a few app teams and do some freelancing but currently do not have work in a studio.

Iv been doing 3d art for 4 years now, and this is my 3rd ever character i am posting now.

This character was based on a concept I did awhile ago, not got loads to write about it other than its took me about 2 months as iv been working on a number of projects at the same time and its been a really fun character to do.

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o4_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o5_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o6_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o7_500.jpg

tumblr_mpl88tgeCH1snyfg7o8_r1_250.jpg

I am looking for some feedback on what you think of the character, how I could improve him, anything I can add/change and just any advise you have on creating a better finished render.

Thanks for looking :)

If you are intrested in any of my other work please visit my website here dannyjhull.com

Danny H

Replies

• blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    It looks pretty sick, only crit. i really have is maybe have the orange stick out a bit more? He seems a little bland, color-wise
  • Danno8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :D, yeah I can see what you mean about the colour. I could do with making it a bit less grey.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The mesh looks good, but your presentation is pretty "meh"

The ground is a good thing, but more importantly your lighting needs to be right.
    The whole character is like evenly lit. Theres no highlighting any side, no highlighting silhouette or real shadows. Also your background is really lame and drags the whole thing down. Get a really subtle gradient in a complementary color which is very desaturated or something along these lines.

Also your DH logo is too big. Align it at the rest of your text, will have a lot more style.

Also too small image, I cant see any detail. you probably have too much detail as whole. The eye need places to rest, you just have detail everywhere.

Did a fast paintover to show contrast (platform doesn't have corresponding light tho there)

Char.png

Your light will look a lot better than my round brush highlighting

A blue like that would be perfect complementary. You can always turn down saturation if its too flashy for your likes, but it beats the grey any day any saturation

Moving the character more to the right would be justified aswell. Why keep free space there where he dosnt look (+ more space over his head)
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    Got any larger images? It's hard to make out any detail in these pictures.
  • Danno8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :) I appreciate it and iv took your points on board.
    I had originally done it so over lit because I had done a darker moodyier lit one and the feedback was that it was to dark and the detail wasn't visible.
    This is my next version:

rendercharacter2.jpg
    Iv changed the lighting as you suggested and added a background.
    Did a bit of a touch up in photoshop and iv increased the size of the image by x4.

Sorry just realised why they are so small, its where I am uploading them to. Tumblr seems to decrease the size of the image. I'l start uploading elsewhere.
  • Xzulian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're obisously a better 3d artist then me. But I do feel like the pose isn't that special, and brings your cool design down. Try searching for some cool poses to put your character in. this feels like some guy put on a very cool custume and looks at his girlfriend asking hey, how do I look? feeling uncomfartble.
  • Danno8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback xzulian.
    I agree the pose isn't very dynamic, the main reason was I just wanted a relaxed pose the show of the model so everything can be seen.
    But I will look into doing some extra renders with alternate poses :)