Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKM hard surface practice

Replies

• Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Only the rivets that I had marked with a red dot were concave, the ones I hadn't were correct - these are indeed rivets, the other ones are spot weld marks. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 - KILLER feedback, nice work! You're what everyone dreams of when they post a thread asking for crits. :)
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Stoy79 wrote: »
    Only the rivets that I had marked with a red dot were concave, the ones I hadn't were correct - these are indeed rivets, the other ones are spot weld marks. :)

i only went over the ones you marked, does it look different? :poly122:

oh well, ill leave it. only the smoothing on the dustcover to fix and i think the high poly is done!
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    I'm referring to the ones just under the fire selector - these are inverted too, now. These 3 specific ones are rivets, so they should be convex.
    Anyway, personally I wouldn't add the concave thingy to the high poly at all (neither the smaller rivets - just the bigger ones), it's just as easy to add them to the normal map afterwards. + It's much easier to move them around if you decide to. :)
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    I'm referring to the ones just under the fire selector - these are inverted too, now. These 3 specific ones are rivets, so they should be convex.
    Anyway, personally I wouldn't add the concave thingy to the high poly at all (neither the smaller rivets - just the bigger ones), it's just as easy to add them to the normal map afterwards. + It's much easier to move them around if you decide to. :)

ok, ill fix that stuff. i think im going to bake all teh floaters into the normal map anyway, so unless im understanding you wrong i think i may keep the concave bits in :)

thanks for all the help!
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    ok, i think im ready to call time on my high poly :)

SxcPy5W.jpg

unless anyone has any other crits?
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    alright guys, just finished this high poly up for good i think!

GpcJM2k.jpg

now onto the low poly, im planning on baking all the floating geo into the low poly. is that a wise idea?
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Yep, it's Ok. :) Some details I had mentioned earlier are still not absolutely right, most of all the buttstock, but that's you decision after all.
    im planning on baking all the floating geo into the low poly. is that a wise idea?

Should be OK, I think. Personally, wouldn't have baked all details on the receiver - I'd rather add the more prominent rivets as geo and would have modeled the depressions above the mag well into the receiver (as it's a bit too deep and it may not look very convincing in 1st person), but a lot of people do it as you're about to. Anyway, I'd say try your way, if you're not satisfied with the result, you can always change it afterwards. :)
  • descruo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    descruo polycounter lvl 5
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Yep, it's Ok. :) Some details I had mentioned earlier are still not absolutely right, most of all the buttstock, but that's you decision after all.

Should be OK, I think. Personally, wouldn't have baked all details on the receiver - I'd rather add the more prominent rivets as geo and would have modeled the depressions above the mag well into the receiver (as it's a bit too deep and it may not look very convincing in 1st person), but a lot of people do it as you're about to. Anyway, I'd say try your way, if you're not satisfied with the result, you can always change it afterwards. :)

yeah, i was thinking of modelling it in, but at the depth it is the top of the magazine clips through the indents, so i left it.

if the bake doesn't go well, ill redo it with more important floaters modeled in.