Home Unreal Engine

Top Down Game

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I have been looking into TOPDOWN tutorials. I have the camera set and I can spawm too.

The only thing I haven't solved is that the player is shooting into the ground. What steps are needed to fix this?

Thanks,

Decorix

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's relatively simple to do - the default UT game considers that aiming is projected from the center of the screen forwards; ergo into the floor.

You need to change this so that it considers it from the pawn's perspective, or otherwise towards the point that is projected from the mouse cursor position on screen forwards. The former is the easier of the two and I would start with that.

The side scroller development kit gem will demonstrate how to do this.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot. Why don't they have some kinda quick setup in UDK already like this??. You have these option in worldproperties were you can choose different games. Just wondering, now you have to edit code and recompile stuff. But ok, thanks for the link+info.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering how simple? Do you need to start compiling scripts? I have downloaded and coocked/compiled the package from the starters kit with frontend), but I have no experience with coding. What other options are there. I haven't found any tutorials sofar, how to do it.
  • CowKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix wrote: »
    I was wondering how simple? Do you need to start compiling scripts? I have downloaded and coocked/compiled the package from the starters kit with frontend), but I have no experience with coding. What other options are there. I haven't found any tutorials sofar, how to do it.

I'm going to be really blunt here: If you have absolutely zero experience with programming, you're going to put a bullet through your head trying to figure out unrealscript. Unrealscript isn't an incredibly hard language to understand, but the documentation is really poor compared to just anything else, and if you haven't programmed before, you'll be spending days trying to figure out a solution. Unrealscript is just a real pain in the butt to work with.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Unrealscript is nearly identical to C#.

And yes you have to edit code and recompile things. That's what programming is.
    All your real game logic is in code. There is no visual Kismet like substitute.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks guys. But if you only wanted to showcase some level stuff. See it from an artist view. I have my (topdown) camera working and also player can walk arround. The only thing that is happening is that my player fires into the ground. It would be cool if there were like templates in UDK were Artist can start from. Perhaps some on has a topdown_level working to (share) :-)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused as to why you'd need full game interaction for just an art reel.
    Just have a matinee flythrough, or perhaps just upload the level to sketchfab?