Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mad Scientist Lab

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
peanutBK polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, this is my first piece that I am really proud of and I spent a lot of time on even though I was sick. It was an assignment for my Materials & Lighting class at school, I managed to meet the deadline at the last second. :poly121:

This scene was modeled and rendered in Maya 2012 with mental ray. The assignment was to set up a scene for a scientist's desk or a wizard's desk. Anyways let me know what you think, things I could if I were to use this as a portfolio piece (or if I should bring it into UDK then use that instead). My render settings were set to HD 1080, Final Gathering and an Ambient Occ.

vT3QYuz.jpg
Earlier Stage

mad_scientist_lab_by_peanutbk-d6bsmob.png
Final

Thanks,
~Peanut/Chris

Replies

• looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    The modeling looks good but the lighting needs work.

When I first look at the image my eyes go all over the place. think of it as an illustration and focus on one area in the scene (preferably the glassware on the table). Maybe have the stuff in the background faded or darker. Also there are too many colors which is harsh on the eyes.

the generator in the back needs lighting its too dark.

I am not a lighting expert so maybe a lighter can chime in...
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    put in way more light in there !
    there are many spots where you cant tell whats going on at all.
    and whats even more of a problem, the materials you want to show are realy hard read!
    maybe it could also hepl to lighten the diffuse values of your sourrounding room.

like to see a new brighter more homogeniously lit version !
  • peanutBK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanutBK polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I won't have time to update it yet, but I'm going to do a big overhaul of the scene so I will be able to use it as a portfolio piece.

I'm going to watch some more videos on lighting. I also want to flood the room with coils of wires on the ground and hanging from the rafters.

Thanks again for the feedback :)