Home Unreal Engine

UDK and Dropbox

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
Is there anyone that uses UDK's engine with Dropbox to transfer files to others? If so, do you need to keep the UPK files within Dropbox to keep any changes or additions to files on all computers using it? Or will any textures we apply between the two of us on our separate PCs, and keep those files in our Content Folder of UDK and just open the UDK level file in the Dropbox, will opening that file place any new textures and/or materials into the content folder?

The more I think about it, I don't think it would. But I'm frustrated and looking for some direction. I'm new to level design on our first game and trying to figure out why I can't see the textures and materials my partner has applied on his PC.

Basically, a co-worker and myself are building a level, I'm in Missouri, he is in Wisconsin. Dropbox is our connection for files. It's worked great. I'm missing something with UDK, do the UPK files have to be one in the same and saved in the Dropbox or can we keep them off of the Dropbox and in our Content Folder, separately? While just the UDK level file stays in the Dropbox?

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Me and a friend used it recently when working on a level:

Situation:
    2 people are working in the same package (adding assets).
    Person 1 adds 2 assets and uploads it to dropbox.
    Person 2 in meanwhile added a asset of his own and uploads it 2minutes later -> the assets from person 1 will not be there, because that newer package got overwritten.

So you have to take turns in working on the package, and always make sure to get the latest version of dropbox, adjust it, upload it again, and then tell the other person that he can work on it.

same with the map.

Your wording is a bit confusing, but if you are working from dropbox you have 2 ways to go with packages:

-Before loading up the map, use the load external package, and open the package from dropbox (not the best idea)
    -Or every time you want to work on it, copy the package from dropbox to the UDK folder on your pc then copy it back to dropbox when you are done (safer)

"do the UPK files have to be one in the same and saved in the Dropbox or can we keep them off of the Dropbox and in our Content Folder"
    -> Well if you add a asset in your package and put it in the map, there is no way for the other person to see that asset in the map if he doesn't have that version of the package.

In the end, we just had a seperate package for each person, so we could we both working at the same time, and then just update that now and then.

For the map itself you could have a look at this:
    http://www.stubbornhorse.com/?p=135
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you for the help. Last night we decided to do just this. To save us the trouble and headaches. I've bookmarked your link and will pass it around to others I am working with. I was frustrated last night and my apologies for the confusing language. I tried my best to explain the situation as best as I could. Your response helps a lot. Thank you again.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just use some version control useing dropbox like this is just asking for trouble