Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ Portfolio | Sketchbook ] Alvin Toribio - environment | 3D artist

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a little biased, but the CRYENGINE scene looks much, much better than the UDK one. Reflections make such a huge difference in an environment.

Two things though, on the floor, where the black squares were in UDK, they're transparent now? Are they meant to be that way? I only ask because in pictures 1, 2, and 3, they are transparent, but in 4 it isn't. Also, not sure if it's texture compression or the image resolution, but the new "Control Room" text on the black sign hanging from ceiling is having some bleeding issues. I'd make the text all white again or make the font bigger so the white stroke doesn't bleed to the other side of the letter.

The new area looks awesome!

For your exporting problem, could you elaborate a little more? You created a new Maya material, added it to the Material Exporter in the CryExport plugin, but it doesn't show up in the editor? If you're in the Editor when you export the new material, you may need to reload the materials. Or if you updated a previously existing material file, you have to generate the material again in Maya. If nothing works, you can always create a material file yourself in CRYENGINE.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    leleuxart wrote: »
    I'm a little biased, but the CRYENGINE scene looks much, much better than the UDK one. Reflections make such a huge difference in an environment.

Two things though, on the floor, where the black squares were in UDK, they're transparent now? Are they meant to be that way? I only ask because in pictures 1, 2, and 3, they are transparent, but in 4 it isn't. Also, not sure if it's texture compression or the image resolution, but the new "Control Room" text on the black sign hanging from ceiling is having some bleeding issues. I'd make the text all white again or make the font bigger so the white stroke doesn't bleed to the other side of the letter.

The new area looks awesome!

For your exporting problem, could you elaborate a little more? You created a new Maya material, added it to the Material Exporter in the CryExport plugin, but it doesn't show up in the editor? If you're in the Editor when you export the new material, you may need to reload the materials. Or if you updated a previously existing material file, you have to generate the material again in Maya. If nothing works, you can always create a material file yourself in CRYENGINE.

Hey man-- geezus crist you got a good eye- Well, at first- the floor grates are not supposed to be transparent to begin with. I just figured I'll come up with something along the way for the design--- I just kept on working away with the other pieces- the floor grates was a last minute change- I rip off the idea from Xerafel- scene :B On the current one-- the ones with no alpha on it are supposed to be placeholders and that's my second floor set. I'll get a new floor set in my future revisions :)

The sign-- yup I'm having problems with it and it is leaking-- I think you are right- it could be a compression issue or shader issue-- I'll check again. I figured should be an easy problem to fix-

Yeah-- adding new materials in an existing material group is a bit troublesome-- every time I add a brand new shader from maya to the material group, when I export it doesn't follow through with export package. The only way that a new shader can be added is to make another new shader group before exporting which means--- all the shader set up I did in CryEngine gets erased - and I don't want that. I was doing research on it and seems like the previous exporter versions can read a brand new shader that you can add on an existing shader group without problems. I just figured that it could be a bad compiler bug in the new Cryengine 3 5 4 version?

And yeah- I really like Cryengine-- man I can spend hours on the lighting-- seeing the sun light moving in real time was awesome-- I just kept repositioning the sun for hours :D

but since I'm fairly new to both engines-- I'm still giving Unreal a benefit of doubt-- I really need to put my head around Unreal's shading system- for my first impression so far-- I like Unreal's tool shader set up- it's very flexible compare to Cryengine but...the way shaders look in Cryengine looks better. Well, that's my first impression - that could change in the future ;)

and thanks! the Stairway Corridor was planned out from the start :) and thank you again-- you always give good feed backs - I appreciate it-
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is some really top notch work being posted here! Keep it up dude, loving some of those scenes.

As for that last pic, you need to make some of the vegetation planes face outward, i get the feeling most of the are pointing up. Also, all the normals should be pointing away from the tree, for a more smooth effect. I believe there's an article about it on the wiki!

Great stuff man, keep posting, loving see you progress.

Edit. Sorry I meant the last pic of page one, it might be old but I hope the feedback is still valid:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1911159&postcount=25
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    This is some really top notch work being posted here! Keep it up dude, loving some of those scenes.

As for that last pic, you need to make some of the vegetation planes face outward, i get the feeling most of the are pointing up. Also, all the normals should be pointing away from the tree, for a more smooth effect. I believe there's an article about it on the wiki!

Great stuff man, keep posting, loving see you progress.

Edit. Sorry I meant the last pic of page one, it might be old but I hope the feedback is still valid:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1911159&postcount=25

Wow- it's HP! been a fan of your work for quite some time now and thank you so much!
    You are right- the normals are all facing up on all my trees at the moment -- I will start researching on the face normals method-- like what u have suggested. I actually see a lot folks here that are using that method on their vegitation scenes and it took me awhile to figure it why but I will start using it from now on. thank you again for passing by HP :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everyone - it's been awhile since I posted. This is just a quick project I did for UE4 just for fun :smile:

• serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can finally show these early lighting test I did at for one our clients :] 

• serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More lighting and UI test in Unreal Engine 4 ( UE 4.9 ) prop models are purposefully simplified

• serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow it has been awhile, Unreal Engine lighting and water shader test - summer project  B)