Home Unreal Engine

Missing Materials and Textures in UDK

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I'm using UDK to build a level for my first game, between me and another through Dropbox. The UDK file is in the Dropbox account, we keep our UPK files in the content folders of our own PC's. I've never done this before but it's supposed to work. So far it has, until now.

I load up the UPK files as usual, then I get errors for missing content that we are not using, so I ignore them. I load the level, and the textures and materials my partner has worked on don't attach to the BSP's that he applied them to when he was messing with it. Yet those textures and materials exist in my UPK.

I've tried moving them to a new UPK and back again, the same thing. My partner can get the level to load up everything just fine and he sees what we have both created thus far. I don't. I have and I know what's supposed to be applied but it's not there anymore. My guess it's something simple that I'm not thinking and I've messed with it too long today and hope a little outside help would be great.

Bare with me, If I'm forgetting any information to help answer this problem, please ask and I'll do my best to reply.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I don't have a long run solution, but this trick might be helpful :
    Open the UPK first (-> Fully Load), with an empty level, then open your map. This will force the UDK to load your materials correctly.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done that multiple times, and there seems to be a glitch with UDK. I don't know what it is but it's causing trouble for me. Quite aggravating. I don't know if it has to do with Dropbox or something else I'm missing.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Wait, your packages/maps are outside of the UDK content folder ? UDK create external reference links if you do this and it can be very problematic to keep your project sane. It's really advised to work inside the content folder and not outside. Otherwise you can get a lot of random problems.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We talked last night and decided to keep packages in our content folder and a separate third UPK folder in the Dropbox. Everything would be moved into the UPK file that we are working out of. Keeping the Dropbox UPK file in its place. It sounds like a pain and there probably is an easier way to mess with this but I've had two other people look at this that we are working with and glitch is about the only excuse they can come up with as to why it's acting this way.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You could make a symbolic link between the dropbox file and the content folder.