Home General Discussion

Zbrush Hard Surface (Not-Character)

Sear
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sear polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, I just have a quick few questions regarding zbrush :)

I watched this recently - http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/vehicle-design/ - and I was seriously amazed that this is possible within zbrush, and is also extremely fast. I would take me ages to create that in Maya.

Which brings me on to my question. In the games industry is zbrush used for assets like this? (Vehicles, guns etc)
As this is the route I want to go, is it worth me spending the time to learn zbrush to this level? I have been trying to learn zbrush for a while and I am having a really difficult time, so I wanna know if it is worth it :P

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies. I have searched google for this and polycount and everything seems to relate to characters (hard surface armor for the most part).

EDIT: I can do this in Maya but it takes a much longer time. Zbrush seems to have a serious advantage when it comes to speed, but I lack the ability in zbrush to do anything like this.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It would be more likely that something like a vehicle would be done in Maya or Max rather than ZBrush, given that you can make very precise changes to your mesh if required. Zbrush has some great hard surface brushes but I'm still not sure if I'd use it for working on a vehicle, weapon or prop. Unless you're some ZB wiz, then I'd imagine you would tend to get more refined results in a 3D app.

Having said that, ZBrush is definitely worth learning! Its used by Character and Environment artists alike and will only add to your skillset, so definitely try to pick it up :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The primary problem with ZBrush as a hard surface tool is iteration. Basically, there isn't much if you're boolean'ing stuff together and dynameshing and all that. Stuff gets locked in pretty quick.

But definitely worth learning! ZBrush has a lot of roles in modern game development and is a tool that is essentially required for most artists.
  • Sear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear polycounter lvl 7
    Ok well thanks for the info :) I have been wondering for a while.

I will still try to learn zbrush. I will try to create some characters and such :)

thank you again!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrush is useful for environment art as well! Don't get me wrong. It's fantastic for detailing and banging up assets before you bake normals...