Home Technical Talk

Skies in games - best practice

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
Hello all,

So one thing that I don't really understand to much is how to make skies for games. I understand some of the techniques, but was wondering if anyone else has some good techniques to make them.

I have followed the 3dmotive free tutorial on sky domes and they do look good.
I have also looked at the one here on the forums with the day/night cycle which is fantastic as well. And had a glance at the wiki section on skies and there is a lot to take in.

But that is pretty much where my understanding is. I know a few companies that use a cylinder as the camera is always locked and you cant see up - which was very basic but did the job. I also know of one that produces clouds through a custom system - that I don't have the knowledge as of the moment to recreate.

So I was just wondering what peoples best practices were for making skies in games.

Hope you can help.

Replies

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Best practice is : use what does the job and fits your needs. A simple skycube with six static textures can still be good enough when you don`t nee day/night cycle. This simply depends of what you want to achieve.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, totally depends on the game. Look on the wiki for whitepapers... there are some about advanced skydome techniques. Also,get a game editor and look at the shipped game levels, udk, cryengine, etc

Oh also, on the MMO section of my site I have a video showing an animated volcano skybox, with wireframes etc. Might help.