Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi PDW

So I'm working on a PDW for and inde project. This is obviously going to go all the way with fp, tp, lod models & animation. Will be using CryEngine3. C&C welcome.

The concept I'm working from:
PDWConcept.png

The High poly model. Starting low poly work tomorrow.
PDWhppresentationrig.jpg
PDWhppresentationlef.jpg

Replies

• DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Kind of generic, but still very cool! Not digging the alternating sets of lines on the grip, though. And maybe the charging handle (is that the right term?) could be beefed up a little. Right now it seems a little small, like it would be hard to catch with the side of your hand.
    Overall really cool!
  • Arod529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Ya, every time I looked at the picture, I liked the grip lines a little less. They be gone. I up sized the charging handle too.

So I modeled, unwrapped & test baked the low poly today. It currently sits at ~7k tris with a 1k texture sheet that has even resolution across. It is also on a single smoothing group at the moment, though I need to separate a couple of uv islands to fix backing errors.

Normals Maps Only:

lowPoly00.jpg
    lowPoly02.jpg
    lowPoly01.jpg
    lowPoly03.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    like your iteration definitely more than the concept , would probably better with the grip standing outfolded
  • Arod529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got the lods modeled.

Third Person Model (lod0): 7,422 tris
    lod1: 3,772 tris aka 51% previous
    lod2: 2,604 tris aka 69% previous

I'm considering bringing the rails down a bit on lod2, though the uvs will have to differ from the other two. I think though, at the distance it would be loaded, it won't make much difference.

pdwtpWires.jpg
    pdwtpWireslod1.jpg
    pdwtpWireslod2.jpg
  • Arod529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some texture work.

pdw00.jpg
    pdw01.jpg
    pdw02.jpg
    pdw03.jpg

LODs with same textures.

pdw04.jpg
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really cool! :D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your drybrushing is too consistent. (edge wear) Dont just put it everywhere evenly. Im not sure about the color. You need mroe highlights through more intense wear and dirt at some places, or bring in some graphical elements, its sci-fi you can do that. its a little even and boring right now. Also the magazine dosnt really look like a mag, it looks just like a block .

This is the real life reference for your weapon concept

http://www.eastcoastairsoft.com/images/de3d638c52eede091365386a04f53af5.image.733x550.jpg
    P90

Since its a first person model, that part of the gun should be the most eye candy.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    It seems that you have some smoothing errors at the side rails.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    seems mega bizarre to model LODs on personal work, since you don't have to. this isn't really a crit, i'm just wondering why you bothered.

for textures, things seem very uniform - there are two distinct finishes on the gun but each seems to have the same specular and gloss values and details. i think some fundamental material definition would go a long way

e/ oops, just read the actual text of the OP. i understand why you made LODs. ignore that part i guess. still, i wouldn't necessarily make them before texturing