Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demoproud's 3D Character portfolio WIP

demoproud
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
demoproud polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! I'm building my portfolio and I would really like some critique/feedback.
I've been around, but never really posted any work. Guess that is about to change :poly142:

I'll start off with a character for a personal game project I'm making which involves physics manipulation.
This the a 2d concept I did for the character, although in here she wearing highheels, I decided in having the character running around in boots instead.
AmyA1000.jpg

Now the 3D mesh. This is the beauty pose straight of 3dsMax viewport using xoliulshader
DropPose01.jpg

Zbrush Hi-Res meshes
HiResZbrush.jpg

Standard T pose, again Max with xoliulshader, and wireframe.
Tpose.jpg

Idle poses, same settings
idlePose.jpg

and the textures.
Body:
- Diff
- SSS
- Spec
- Normal
- Emissive
AA_BodyMat.jpg

Clothes:
- Diff
- Spec
- Normal
- Emissive
AA_DressMat.jpg

Okay so this model has been a pet project for awhile, and it has seen many revisions, especially the body mesh and the hair.
For now the meshes are still a little high poly, totaling in 50,000 tris, including weapon, and also the body is all there, with the clothes only being on top, so i could always delete the unnecessary faces.
The textures are 4096 size, so pretty large too.

In the first image, she has a USP weapon, but after seeing Grim's work, I decided to do more work on it :P

I got a list of things left to be done, but I'm taking a break from this project while I focus on others. Plus getting some critique and feedback will help when I go back to it.

Thanks
Ricardo

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, Looks pretty cool.

I'd have to say that the biggest issues i see is that the proportions, don't match your concept very well. The shoulders are very wide in comparison to the hips. And her arms look the wrong length.

Usually arms on humans have the elbow line up with the belly button and the wrist at the bottom of the buttocks when they are hanging by their sides.
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Hey man, Looks pretty cool.

I'd have to say that the biggest issues i see is that the proportions, don't match your concept very well. The shoulders are very wide in comparison to the hips. And her arms look the wrong length.

Usually arms on humans have the elbow line up with the belly button and the wrist at the bottom of the buttocks when they are hanging by their sides.

I will have a look at the proportions, because since you mention it seems that the elbow became too short in comparison with the forearm :poly124:. Thanks for the fresh set of eyes :poly142:
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's time to bring some more portfolio work.

After spending a few months rewatching the ALF tv series, I decided to practice creating poly hair, in a fully hairy model, in this case Gordon Shumway.
    I still have to finish the textures, as at the moment they are quite basic, but the model itself, I think it's pretty much there.

Alf_wip.jpg

As always, any feedback, fresh set of eyes, or critique are welcomed :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    nicely done! The female could use some strong rim lighting to highlight the forms.
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix wrote: »
    nicely done! The female could use some strong rim lighting to highlight the forms.

Thanks. I will do that :)
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Hey,

First thing that stood out to me on the Alf model the fur is lacking variation. You're on the right track, though.

A couple of tutorials you could check out that have helped me with fur & hair:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85471
    http://cgcookie.com/unity/2013/04/29/modeling-and-texturing-polygon-hair-for-game-characters/
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii wrote: »
    Hey,

First thing that stood out to me on the Alf model the fur is lacking variation. You're on the right track, though.

A couple of tutorials you could check out that have helped me with fur & hair:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85471
    http://cgcookie.com/unity/2013/04/29/modeling-and-texturing-polygon-hair-for-game-characters/

Really nice tutorials. These will come very handy. Thanks! :D

I do agree with lacking variation, as in those printscreens i'm still using the same UV space for all polys in the same region. To be honest those alphas were a 10 min job and I still need to do some random selecting, move UVs and create more variety with the alphas.
    I'll post an update as soon as I got something new :)

Thanks again
    Ric
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

I went back to the Amy character, with a fresh pair of eyes, and thanks to Muzz pointing it out, that the model needed some work on proportions. Although something tells me that I perhaps overdid it a little :P Still, I'm quite happy how she's looking overall, but I need to rework the hair.

Here's the sculpted body..
    AARSc_Body.jpg

and close ups of the face.

AARSc_Face.jpg

Now, on other works.. I recently found hidden in a folder, an old face bust which I did for university. I'm thinking in having another sculpt pass on it, so if there's any suggestions for improvements, I would seriously appreciate it :)

OldFace.jpg

Feel free to critique, comment, give suggestions, as any feedback helps guys :)
    Thanks

Sorry, if the images are too big, or if they take too long to load.. I need a new site hosting.
  • demoproud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I fixed the uvws on the hair, made new alphas, although diffuse might need some extra work. I've also made Alf's best friend, Lucky aka Luckmeister. The cat still needs some texture work too. I think for the beauty pose im going with Alf in pursuit of the cat, although the one on the image below, its a wip, so it looks off. I need to readjust the body a bit more.

C&C always welcomed.
    Thanks
    Alf_wip2.jpg