Home Technical Talk

UDK/Maya: Fixed Prop Rigging w/ Character Question

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hi Polycount:

So I have a question regarding proper prop rigging for UDK from Maya, so there's no weapon switching in game.

What needs to be set up specifically for this to work for an animator in Maya and THEN export correctly to UDK? From talking with the Polycount Hangout, it seems like all that needs to be done is all the GEO in the scene is grouped into one, and then the Gun Root Bone just parented to a bone that was purely the "socket bone" in the hand. All Geo in one heirarchy, all the Joints in one, something UDK is supposed to like.

Am I telling him something wrong / what is he doing wrong, and what should he do to fix it and set it all back up correctly?

xzLdVvP.jpg

Here's his last email in question, if it helps. Rigging is not my forte, so I am not completely understanding what he's confused about.
hey.

So im having some issues still.

So this web site:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingAnimations.html#Weapons

The one you gave me, said there should be 2 hierarchies. The prop "root" bone should have a parent constraint on it driven by the wrist(character "prop" bone ).

Then you are suppose to export 2 FBX then combine them in UDK. That is how i read it anyways.

I also tried to parent the gun root bone to the wrist... but that didnt solve it. :/

"To animate the weapon and character together, such as a reload animation, bring the rigged character and weapon into the same scene, and constrain the weapon’s “root” bone to the character’s “weapon” bone. You will eventually export out the weapon and character as two separate, but synchronized, animations.
Animate the character and weapon as you desire, using constraints to keep hands locked to weapon parts or vice versa. Once this character-plus-weapon animation is ready, bake the animation out onto both skeletal hierarchies, and remove all constraints between them. Remove all animation keys from only the weapon’s “root” bone, and set it’s position and rotation values to <0,0,0>. This will retain animation on all the animated weapon bits, but keep the weapon at the scene’s origin. Save this file but rename it as an “ExportReady” version."

So i tried that, and now the prop is moves, but it not is the same position as it was in maya.

Also the feet are acting weird in UDK.

I tried to follow to tutorials as best as possible.

Let me know if that makes any sense.

maybe we can have a google hang out and see if we can get this fixed together.

Replies