Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Teutonian Tinkermeister Gregory - A Stout, Wrench-wielding Engineer

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    WIP 19

Some modification to the Specular, though I think their might be something I might be missing with the Diffuse.

As a reminder, this is meant to be an RTS hero character, hence the high up camera angle.

I THINK I have the correct Specular Map for all my materials on this character, but I have a feeling I might be messing up all the leather, especially. Do I have this right?

d26d0GV.jpg

Specular Map is the only thing that has really changed.
    UHV7kYp.jpg
  • Gurutree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great man!

DDO will color the spec but you have to choose the color manually. At the top of the material, there are three color choosers for diffuse spec and gloss. Click on the spec and it pops up a color chooser. I usually choose a color maybe a tiny bit more saturated than the brass color.

That applies to each of the scratch layers as well...some of them default to a white for the scratch, which is not accurate for brass.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the brass scratches, a brighter, or duller gold for the Specular?
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    brighter yellow i believeees
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Running a quick draft pose and Marmoset beauty shot test.

Going to see if I can composite this as one scene with several Teutonian Doughboys in various positions.

HppyeU4.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    This turned out pretty nice, and works well from the in-game angle overall. One thing you might want to consider for future characters in this is really exaggerating detail size. Things like the buttons could be a lot bigger so they actually read in game.

What's the purple spec on his gloves for? It's not really reading as anything to me.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the game, there's a resource called Arkanium that is essentially a liquid, almost oil, like substance that not only powers things, but allows for conventional magic casting. So on his gloves are Arkanium oil stains.

Regarding bigger details, that is definitely lacking in this model at the moment, and something, at least as an AD on the team, I definitely need to iterate for the other Character Artists.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final renders in Marmoset:

oLmqShQ.png

yq8Iv0P.png

juzzsin.png

IQRnV6N.png

sEJYy7G.png