Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

G1 Matrix Of Leadership

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
CONCEPT:
vdOrGX9.jpg

I just started working on this prop. Don't worry about the actual "spark" part. Those are just a place holders until I kinda figure out how the crystals will sit inside of it. Right now the "spark" is separated from the main piece.

Does anyone have any tips for texturing crystal in photoshop or even better creating a crystal shader in Maya.

I am going to work on the high poly now. Feed back, suggestions, and critiques welcome.

98rIYNp.jpg
oz3hrGG.jpg

Replies

• Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Just use a Blinn in Maya.

Here is a video (wording in Spanish, but all steps in 4.5 minute video can be seen in Maya) that may help with crystal. Just experiment to get the look you want. You can mimic the settings in Marmoset, Unity, etc. for a game engine render. He uses a Sampler Info node for a Fresnel Effect in Maya (reflectivity depends on viewing angle).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOeIOTetZk"]Cristal en Autodesk Maya (glass shader in maya) Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

I saw your post in the Discussion Board. I served in the Army and understand what you are going through. You are taking the right track (don't give up, get feedback, implement feedback, rinse and repeat). If you made it through the Marines you'll make it through this. Forget about what happened at school and just focus on where you want to be.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
    Barbarian wrote: »
    Just use a Blinn in Maya.

Here is a video (wording in Spanish, but all steps in 4.5 minute video can be seen in Maya) that may help with crystal. Just experiment to get the look you want. You can mimic the settings in Marmoset, Unity, etc. for a game engine render. He uses a Sampler Info node for a Fresnel Effect in Maya (reflectivity depends on viewing angle).
    Cristal en Autodesk Maya (glass shader in maya) Tutorial - YouTube

I saw your post in the Discussion Board. I served in the Army and understand what you are going through. You are taking the right track (don't give up, get feedback, implement feedback, rinse and repeat). If you made it through the Marines you'll make it through this. Forget about what happened at school and just focus on where you want to be.

Thanks Barbarian I really appreciate it!