Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aldabra Giant Tortoise

Hey everyone, been awhile but I finally got around to finishing up this turtle. Haven't done an animal like this in a long time but please rip it apart as needed.

3980tris, 1024x1024 diffuse, spec, normal maps. Everything mirrored except for the top of the shell.

Final renders for the Aldabra here! Tried to hit all the critique possible in the thread without having to do major remodeling.

Aldabra_Final1
Aldabra_Final2Aldabra_Final3
Aldabra_FinalCloseup
Aldabra_FinalModelSheet
Aldabra_FinalTextures

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The feet, especially the toes, could use some work. The claws should be thicker, and the toes distinct if a bit stubby. The forelegs could probably use a bit more distinction between the foot and the leg.
    34_Giant%20Tortoise%20Prison%20Island.JPG

The wrinkles of the neck run from the shoulder to the base of the jaw, with additional wrinkles along the length when the neck isn't extended. Also note how the muscle runs from the base of the neck to the inside of the upper shell.
    tortoisg.jpg
    The eye of giant tortoise has a large and very dark iris, so it will appear black from most normal angles and distances.
  • bhong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where were those two shots when I was doing my reference search?! I'll try and hit those notes and post some results within a day.
  • bhong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, had a sudden family visit today and didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Pretty sure I got the legs looking better, messed with the way the legs connect to the body and tried to get smoe more stubby toes in. Will have to go into the sculpt and get those wrinkles in tomorrow.

Getting some weird lighting going on under my shell rim that wasn't there before though. You can kind of see it in the first screencap. If anyone has an idea how to remedy that it would be greatly appreciated! If I switch the viewer to world space normals that area is discolored up in the same manner.

Aldabra_Render6.jpgAldabra_Render7.jpg
    Aldabra_Render8.jpgAldabra_Render9.jpg

Edit: Added 2 more caps of the foot and the weird lighting thing.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    That really looks awesome!

The yellow on the 2 front paws is a bit too bright/saturated IMO, it draw attention away from the head. Maybe try to make the yellow on the head a bit brighter and dim it on the paws.
  • Helreaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helreaper polycounter lvl 5
    This is exceedingly awesome. The only little niggle i have with it however is that the front legs are pretty high resolution and high contrast and his head seems almost blurry (possibly not enough texture space for the head?)
  • bhong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final renders for the Aldabra here!

Callin it done on this one.
    Thanks everyone for the critiques! Tried to hit them as best as I could.