Home Unreal Engine

Controlling camera via matinee

i need to set the camera actor as camera target, and control all the movements of the camera via matinee: i need the camera to move by 90 degrees left and right, move forward and backward by steps, in other words all the camera movement are supposed to be small "video-clips" called by keybord entries. I also need to activate the mouse to look around by pressing a mouse button.
so far i've done this:

[IMG][/img]yhkugghj.jpg

it ALMOST work, i've only added the key to turn left, and on key pressing, it actually turns by 90 degrees, BUUUUUT...it only fire once and then stops working, ALSO only the camera turns (the point of view so to speak) but the character doesn't
any suggestion to proceed from here plz? is this the correct approach to the matter?
thx.

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    You do not need set camera target, though you can do it like that. The matinee would force the camera anyhow through the director track.

You need to turn on ResetOnPlayor, or something like that (forgot exact name), property in the matinee, to make sure it works every time. You also need to enabled NoResetOnRewind or it won't work either.
    Also each Console Event needs to run Stop on all other matinees but the one it has to play.
    Console events also need a 1 second delay or you'd be able to play multiple matinees at the same time. That also means one console event needs to toggle off all other console events for the directions of 1 second, or through a bool check.

Why the character doesn't rotate I don't know, you could otherwise also do the same thing through a key input event instead of a console event.
  • SkyNet00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi Hourences ty for the hints, i used Key/Button pressed instead Console Event, i did exactly what you said: i have enabled Rewind on Play and No Reset On Rewind. Now the animation works more than once but the delay between the animations is too long(about 5/6 seconds) it happens even trying different values in Re Trigger Delay.
    Just to know, how do i set the camera actor as a camera target??

thx in advance
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your matinee is probably 5 seconds in length. Need to reduce that within Matinee itself.
    Didn't understand the cam target question. You mean controlling what it focuses on? I tend to attach the camera to the player/whatever you control with the Attach To action in Kismet.
  • SkyNet00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are the my 5th new hero(between Spiderman and Wolverine). I adjusted the length of my sequence now the delay works fine ty ty...

this is what happens to my camera:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8cF386YOk"]UDK Camera Test - YouTube[/ame]

at the beginning of the video i'm moving back and forward, but after turning left if i go bac and forward you will notice it will look like i'm moving strafe left and right this is because only the camera turned not the character...

i would like to archieve a camera like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5EasRtHlY"]Legend of Grimrock-PC Gameplay HD Maxed Out - YouTube[/ame]
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So your character, is that an interpactor or an actual pawn, or the camera itself (no visible player)?

There is a property in Matinee that says NoResetOnRewind or such, make sure it is on or it would reset to its original orientation each time it plays while you want it to turn 90 degrees relative to current rotation.

If that didn't help, show me how you set it up, if it is just the camera or what else is in the level and what controls what.
  • SkyNet00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i flagged the properties you mentioned, so the clip doesent reset when it starts again;

in the level ther's only the player spawn, camera actor and 1 light, the camera is controlled by a matinee clip which is set up to play on a key pressed, that's it nothing else. (posted a kismet screen above)

however in this video thers'the theory of how to set up the camera (read in the video description on youtube), i was trying to archive this result using the infos i've found in the video, if you know another way plz feel free to share it, i'm running out of ideas :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgGr8av47dE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgGr8av47dE[/ame]
  • SkyNet00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We simply have a camera actor that we set as camera target and all movement is controlled via matinee moving this camera.
    thx anyway
    If you need details send me a pm

[IMG][/img]anacapeto.jpg

Here my new post for a problem whit mouse::poly101:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122338