Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

alien caveman :3

hey thought id post up something I've done. Spent ages looking at all the cool stuff on this forum thought id contribute a bit. This is, what started out as a caveman, turned slightly alien by the time id finished modelling it. would be love to here from you guys on what you think and that :3. I started it originally for a second year uni project a few mouths ago :}.
apeman-model_0019.jpg
apeman-model_00192.jpg
apeman-model_00193.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Solid start!

I'm specifically saying this is a solid start because it doesn't look done.

Initially, it's good that you seem to have a concept that you're working towards, even if you "slipped" into it, but right now, I think there's a ton more you can do to make this looke like a primitive sentient being than what it is now.

Regarding anatomy, I'm going to say right now it looks to smooshy and blobby, not even for something that will be for a more cartoon-y style. Deltoid lacks definition, the fingers are too uniform, etc. There seems to lack muscle definition for a caveman who would spend a lot of time typically in phsyical activity, even if his torso is huge. Since this looks basically like a human without ears and hair, just studying human anatomy (look up Andrew Loomis) will be a direct way for you to make this character look a lot better.

Archetype concerns also tell me that you should have clothes on this character, to indicate its caveman status. Animal pelts? Clothes of foilage? Flowers? Any weapons? Think on these things, think about what sort of planet and challenges this alien will face and it will inform you what you need to make in terms of character props.

Purpose. I don't see any faceting ocurring with the silhouette of the model. Is this a game ready model? How many triangles and how big is the texture map for this character? Or is this purely for film, Mental Ray Render? This will affect any technical critiques we may have for you, and if you can specify those (and show texture maps, etc) we can help you a lot more.

Overall, make art with clear purpose, not just because it looks cool or you ended up with it (if you can help it). Even while you're learning to wrangle technical challenges, always keep in mind about these higher concept issues. Think on what this character is, in all its wrinkles and crinkles, and act on those thoughts.

EDIT: Looked through your website, seems like this was made for a Uni HW assignment animated short, so I'll assume that any technical requirements that apply to games are not applicable here, like triangle counts.
  • Orkarma
    thx for your in-depth crit, seems you have given me better feedback than my actual lecturers, it was supposed to be a animation assignment so there wasn't a triangle count involved :/.
    your indeed right in saying that this model isn't finished, realisticly i wanted to add some sort of heavy animal pelt and work on some battle scared textures for he skin :3 im working on it i will repost here with more detailed stuff ^^. thx :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use reference. See where real scars are placed, what they look like, how deep and long they are, instead of willy nilly placing them because it looks cool.