Home General Discussion

Sometimes, life gets in the way - but...

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
danshewan polycounter lvl 8
Howdy Polycounters,

Those of you who've been here forever might remember me (Metalliandy, MoP, AlmightyGir and the rest of the Londoners, I'm looking at you), but a lot of you probably won't.

I was pretty active around here once upon a time. I had aspirations of becoming a professional game artist, like most of the newcomers here. But somehow, life got in the way.

My last "real" project was going pretty well. It was teaching me a lot, and I got some wonderful feedback from some very respected and experienced members of the community before I moved from the U.K. to the U.S. Then, I ended up going through a painful and bitter divorce. I always had my goals in mind, even when trying to get my shit together in a country where I knew nobody and had nothing, but basic survival got in the way. Over time, just making it through the day ended up costing me a LOT of time.

Things are much better now, almost three years later, but looking back through those old WIP threads, I realize how much time I've lost.

Rather than let it depress me, I'm using that as the motivation to galvanize me into getting back to where I was, and working toward my goals. I'll be around a lot more frequently, and will be posting work to the WAYWO thread, as well as the obligatory questions to Technical Talk.

It feels good to be back, and at the risk of sounding a little emo, I wanted to ask about what obstacles you guys have faced in pursuing what really matters to you, and how you overcame them.

I've never learned as much anywhere else as I did from you guys, and I'm hoping I can get back into the groove and start actually making some progress.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I remember you danshewan, welcome back, life has been getting into the way for me too. I'm looking forward to seeing more art from you.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome back :)
    Life tends to get in the way, not much you can do about that ;)

My way to overcome obstacles has been thinking if you work towards a goal you can't fail, you will reach it at one point.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome back and i'm actually trying to be more active on these forums I have not been and no real excuse not to.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Welcome back, man!

My main obstacle has been having the energy and drive to do art outside of work and school. I'm still working on overcoming that, so if anyone else has advice on the matter I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise get yourself a nice sketchbook, even if you're not a concept artist, and grab yourself a couple of nice brushpens from http://www.jetpens.com/ and draw every day. Brushpens give you beautiful lineweight and variety, and since it's not a pencil you can't make fuzzy lines, you have to draw with confidence and commit to a line. It's helped me to explore more ideas, and get creativity flowing. It gets me pumped every day.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    hey there - welcome back!

http://www.cultpens.com/ for the UK will save you a few quid on shipping. :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome back danshewan! I remember your name and avatar :icon60: I had some simpler problems but here it goes:

In my country, you need to complete a 4 year degree if you want to spend 5 months instead of 15 months in military service. I didn't and still don't want to join the military at all for various reasons. I was a good student at high school and managed to get into a pretty good university(METU). While I did great in my first year(honor student lol), I was also getting away from game art and my other hobbies which made me quite unhappy.

Problems started when I tried to maintain a balance between school and art/music. I started failing courses, got OCD and depression. Eventually, it took me 8.5 years to complete the 4 year program. Now I'm 27 years old, staying with my parents, unepmloyed, trying to get a proper game job. I'll have to start my military service at the end of 2014 and it is a general requirement to have your military stuff done in all local job posts. By job posts I mean, there are only 2 of them I'd like to apply to, the rest is small startups who usually can't offer a salary. I'm trying to communicate with the better companies so I can improve myself in a more useful direction.

So, I keep sculpting, making shaders etc. and I'm really improving now. I also earn a little money from here and there. The best part is that my family understands this and supports me.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ah shit man.

sorry to hear about the divorce, but im glad youve kept a positive outlook. and welcome back!
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Welcome back! I haven't seen you around here before, but I like your determination! Good luck!
    I believe sheer grit and determination are necessary to becoming a great artist.

As for obstacles go... It always felt like an uphill battle getting into the industry. It was really tough, but you have to believe that if you never give up, then eventually you'll get in. It sounds so cliche but it's true. Keep working on your art/portfolio and keep applying to studios and internships. Don't wait to apply until you think you're good enough, because as artists we don't ever like our own work :P
    You'll learn so much more on site in a studio than you will by yourself.

If it's really your goal to get in, then my advice is wake up everyday and tell yourself that you wont allow anything to stop you from achieving your goals. Look at art that makes you cry because its so awesome and you feel like you'll never be that good, and then tell yourself that someday you will be that good, because you wont let yourself stop until it happens. Then go study and practice!

On a side note.... the google hangouts posted in the sticky of this forum are amazing. You can learn a lot from just hoping in there everyday while you work.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to do in the game industry? Characters? Environments? Animation?
  • AtomicClucker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'll tell you that I learned about "art" in general.

1) You have to be a businessman and your own brand
    2) Friends, Connections, and a few things translate into Cred and Rep. This nets jobs and opportunities.
    3) Break this myth of the starving artist: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-Prosper-Artist-Yourself/dp/0805088482"]How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul: Caroll Michels: 9780805088489: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    4) They don't teach you how to be a businessman: learn it yourself.

Spent 9 years in and out of college, didn't really take it seriously until two or three years ago after suffering a mental breakdown. Came back to graphic design, despised the designers because they bitched about drawing, tried illustration again but found I hate being crammed into a corner with my work-flow (good program, highly disciplined but health is a bargain bin).

Decided while I love game art and games, it's an exceptional field because many studios want top notch work and that it actually didn't suit my personality. So I made a decision to emulate and admire game art, but not commit myself unless I was consumed by a true bout of madness.

What did I learn from this: Well, you need to have an intrinsic drive to do your work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUbU9Y your work will truly take off when you find "meaning" in it. One thing that struck me about many illustration students was the quality of the work... but they lacked an intrinsic drive and love of doing it.

I didn't find this till I returned to the Fine Arts. Then shit bam, started getting my work into shows, developed a new fire in the belly. Suddenly, I found a reason to do my shit, because I can and want to.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I recognise you danshewan. Polycount, polycount never changes. To be honest nothing much has changed in terms of graphics techniques, as long as it looks good who cares how you made it, right?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    being artistic is not the same as being a professional artist.

This entire post is amazing TeeJay. I don't regret my path or decision to become a professional artist but man... as bitter as it is... I agree with alot of what you said. I remember just after high school I was in a small local art show. I was standing next to my work and this old man came up and complemented it. He asked me what I was doing next. I told him art school. He kind of sighed and said, "Don't let them kill your imagination. They will do that ya know." That is exactly what happened. I was even aware of it and it still happened. Throughout school and the riggers of "practice" my creative sense sure did get snuffed out. It's such an abstract thing. Practicing your creative abilities is not something you really think of doing while you are wrapped up in learning "technique" and "softwares." That is something I really wish I would have nurtured and held onto more.

Anyways. I don't think it ever truly is lost. Just diminished. Its something I am going to try and work on more.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I don't know why I feel the need to post this, but...If you ever feel like moving (and have the money), and you're willing to shave every day and not drink or smoke, come to BYU's animation course in Provo UT, which is critically acclaimed and Pixar recruits out of.

My friends Jake Parker, Anthony Holden, and Ryan Woodward came from there. Heck, if you want advice on creativity, talk to these gents!

Especially Anthony Holden. He could point you in a good direction and really get you inspired to go at it again, better than perhaps most of us could.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey I remember you :D

sounds like you have been through the mill a fair bit, glad that you appear to be on the other side of it now though. the only real adversity in my life is money...I have had to leave two jobs that I loved because of it, but somehow I always land the great gigs that pay fuck all....struggle along for as long as possible, and then end up having to ditch when things get too bad....unemployed at the moment having just left the second one so I cant really explain how to overcome that one yet as I have never managed it...ahh well :D

Makkon, that Anthony Holden page is fantastic, thanks for the share.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went through art school without investigating what I really wanted to do with my life, even though Big Huge Games was right next door and they even came to our school once. Even now I still don't know 100% certain what I'm going to do with my life. After depression and college I never am 100% sure about anything anymore. 6 years, several dead end jobs interrupted with months of unemployment later, I was on the verge of not wanting to live anymore. Before I did that, I decided might as well apply to grad school and give life one last shot. I've never been able to put games and manga out of my life, so I decided to go for grad programs in 3D CGI and try to go for game industry.

After 6 years of not much practice and 0 3D experience, I managed to get in BU in England for 3D animation, and I'm finishing that now. So I can't say I've over came any obstacle, maybe just delayed it. But I've clawed open a door for myself, and I really hope the knowledge I've gained in the last 10 months will help me get to the next level - and closer to the game industry.

I may be a no-good nobody at almost 30, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.