Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable Rock Cliff

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone, I'm new to Zbrush so any advice on making my first zbrush asset would be helpful. I'm trying to make a tileable rock wall for a game I'm working on. It's going to be seen from an RTS perspective, and it's supposed to loosely resemble slabs of shale. This is what I have so far:

T2Muf35.jpg

Not quite sure if there's enough big geometry to read from a distance at an RTS perspective. Also, what brushes/alphas should I use to make it look more organic/rock-like? My current workflow is to build up with clay tubes, then flatten/hipolish, then use the clay polish modifier in the geometry tab, and dynamesh when necessary.

Also, I ran into this problem

cz6YOVi.jpg

I was trying to move the wall with the transpose move tool so I could view multiple copies of the same mesh side by side, and I get that artifact. What's the best way to move several subtools around without getting this problem? Or should I just export objs to a diff 3d package, arrange them, then use GoZ or something?

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    ew ive had that before. I usually do a lot of placement in max or maya then bring it in. do it however is best for your needs though. for the problem your having maybe try masking it all then clearing all. might help.
  • buster.50
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buster.50 polycounter lvl 10
    I think the problem in the second picture is that when you use clay polish it actually masks your mesh but you aren't able to see it. Make sure to hold control and drag a box outside of your mesh to unmask it after using clay polish.

Those brushes are a good start. As for making it a tiling texture there is a good tutorial in the wiki: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1162492#post1162492 (if you scroll down a few posts she goes into detail)

The only thing with that tutorial is instead of using the mrbgz grabber tool, click on the texture drop down menu, open up "Tileable Texture" and click the button "Create seamless".

If you want to make it with mesh and not a plane, this is a good start: http://wiki.polycount.com/TilingRockWallBeyer

Best of luck.