Home General Discussion

Looking for advice

This will be my first post here and I would like to say hello to everyone! this forum has been invaluable in my quest to learn game design. I will try and keep my question short and to the point!

To put things bluntly, I am 23 years old and do to certain circumstances/ bad choices, I have had to put off starting a career to support my family. Now that my life is more stable I am hoping to fulfill my dream of making games.

1. Being 23, is it to late for me to consider a career in game design? I already feel to old so I really dont want to waste time

2. Would getting a general art degree from a small local college benefit me?

3. The forum seems to agree that game schools are a waste and that I would be better off going the online route? With money being tight am I better off subscribing to Gnomon or Digital Tutors? Or do I need both?

Im sure these questions have been asked before so I would like to apologize before hand and thank anyone who can offer any advice!

Thanks

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Nope, 23 seems like the average age to break in.

2. Traditional art is always good for improving your skills, just make sure the instructors are good before you enroll. You don't need a degree though.

3. You don't need to subscribe to anything, if money is tight. There's a lot of good and sometimes better, free information online. But it isn't as force fed to you.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Hey!

1. Being 23, is it to late for me to consider a career in game design? I already feel to old so I really dont want to waste time

- Not at all! there is no age limit :)

- Degrees can always benefit you in the long run (I wouldn't recommend a game school though honestly, you kinda read up on that seeing your 3rd question)

3. The forum seems to agree that game schools are a waste and that I would be better off going the online route? With money being tight am I better off subscribing to Gnomon or Digital Tutors? Or do I need both?

- I wouldn't go to a game school, I would check out Polycount (obviously!), Eat3d, 3dmotive, Gnomon and idk too much about Digital Tutors honestly.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to pursue Game Design, then the best method to learn how is to actually make games. Pick up a game engine, start small, make something fun. Doesn't have to be pretty, or grand in scope. Just has to be fun.

We have some resources here about Design.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameDesign
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea......the term game design is so vague when students refer to it......do you mean:
    game artist
    level designer
    game designer (probably not something you would go into entry level)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Welcome to Polycount! Don't drink the milk. :/

1. Being 23, is it to late for me to consider a career in game design? I already feel to old so I really don't want to waste time.

I didn't even begin training/learning until I was ~24. I'm now 32.

There are many threads about formal training vs. independent training here. There's even a stickied thread at the top of General Discussion. The general consensus is that a degree is not needed, but if you want a degree to open up more opportunities for you, later in life, a traditional art degree is ideal. You can learn the game art/production on forums like Polycount. That's just the general consensus, though. I went through a Game Art and Design program and did just fine with it, as have many others. I've always advocated the benefits to such programs. Though, the debt is crippling and not every school is made the same... so be warned. In the end, education will always benefit you.

I don't know all of what those programs have to offer but I've never seen a Gnomon tutorial/video/workshop that I've not learned something from.

Best of luck!
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    Have you been learning things regarding game design outside of your dayjob when you get the free time?
    If so then it'd be good to see some stuff to see where you are at :)

23 isnt too old to move into games (I know a few amazingly talented people who didnt join the games industry until way past 25+).

I think one of the main keys to getting a job in the industry is to have the passion and drive to consistently work/learn. contact/networking is also another very important (and often undervalued) aspect of landing your first (and any after) job. getting yourself out there on forums and places like linkedin is essential to meeting people who can and will offer you a job if your skills are at the right standard.

its worth exhausting all the free available information on the web first before considering doing an online course.

anyway good luck!
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Man, don't let age be a detractor. I started out in the industry when i was 18. When I was 27 I went back to school to pursue art and now I am 36. I have been doing art for the past 6 years. Do what ever it is that you want. I wouldn't spend money on school but ti depends on what kind of person you are.

Can you motivate yourself to learn and pursue it day after day etc? If not then maybe school would be a better route for you.

Same advice as everyone else. Download UDk, UNity cry egine etc and start making stuff. Learn mechanics of games and what makes things fun. Seek all kinds of information on design, writing, find the basics.

Make sure you enjoy the process and always keep an open mind.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You are way way too old and you should just do economics instead :poly122:

:poly121:
  • alan1990
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice! Its given me a much needed boost in confidence.

Eric, PixelMasher: Looks like I missed used the term, I said game design because Im still trying to figure out what area I would like to get into. As of now I am leaning toward environment art.
  • jaaamesss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i would like to get in the game industry too. I finish my university of chemical technology and now i know it is not for me. I always like games, so decided to be a game artist. I bought Digital Tutor membership. I still struggle with some thing. 1st: What should i put into my portfolio? I would like to be Environment Artist. Waht should i Learn? Now i learn 3sd Max 2013, Phostoshop and clasic drawing. Anythink else should i do to be the best ? These days i spend all my time ( 8 hours a day) to learn. But i dont know what to learn. Can you give me some advice?

I am looking for some thing like: Guide: How to be perfect Game artist. So what should i focun on? Thanks