Home Dota 2

Dev4stator's Sketches

Welcome to my sketch area
My name is Michael and I am starting to learn the art of Dota 2
I understand that these aren't quite up to pro standard levels of drawing but I am trying to improve my drawing skills each time, I recently bought Wacom Bamboo Splash Tablet to upgrade from traditional to digital.
This is what I worked on:
XWyT3.png
This is some of random drawing I do:
AYsrvy0.jpg
QU6Wi99.jpg
pLgnFjk.jpg
LHPk1dY.png
EOpDy3F.jpg?1
FsiOeSn.jpg
n695OtM.jpg
Please let me know on what to improve, etc

Replies

• Dev4stator
  • Sangres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juraiknight polycounter lvl 3
    First let me say that I am no pro artist by any means, but it seems to me that, when you draw, you focus on little details first and you use finger drawing rather than smooth strokes you use with your arm instead of your fingers. I had a teacher tell me once that you can tell the difference between a finger drawn picture and a picture drawn with the arm, and that's confident strokes. Your pictures aren't bad at all, in fact some of the designs are interesting. But what you have is still very rough, and all it needs is work. Especially since all the drawings I see here are in one perspective; front, which makes all the designs look flat, when they aren't meant to be. Just work a little on going nuts on you pencil strokes with curves etc, and just try and work on using perspective and over lapping to convey to us, the viewers, that this axe or bow or whatever is a viable weapon that you can pick up and chop someone in half with.

Another thing you can try to make your pictures and designs better is, tell a story. You can tell a story without words, and just with design. Always think "Why is this (insert object) here?" For instance, that dragon looking sword you have shows no motive of why it's shaped like that. How it's attached to the hilt. Even in fantasy, things are made, they don't just poof out of no where, ya know?

So, in conclusion, just work on altering the perspective of your pictures, try not to stick to so many straight edged lines, and work on telling a story with your designs. Hope this helps.
  • Dev4stator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First let me say that I am no pro artist by any means, but it seems to me that, when you draw, you focus on little details first and you use finger drawing rather than smooth strokes you use with your arm instead of your fingers. I had a teacher tell me once that you can tell the difference between a finger drawn picture and a picture drawn with the arm, and that's confident strokes. Your pictures aren't bad at all, in fact some of the designs are interesting. But what you have is still very rough, and all it needs is work. Especially since all the drawings I see here are in one perspective; front, which makes all the designs look flat, when they aren't meant to be. Just work a little on going nuts on you pencil strokes with curves etc, and just try and work on using perspective and over lapping to convey to us, the viewers, that this axe or bow or whatever is a viable weapon that you can pick up and chop someone in half with.

Another thing you can try to make your pictures and designs better is, tell a story. You can tell a story without words, and just with design. Always think "Why is this (insert object) here?" For instance, that dragon looking sword you have shows no motive of why it's shaped like that. How it's attached to the hilt. Even in fantasy, things are made, they don't just poof out of no where, ya know?

So, in conclusion, just work on altering the perspective of your pictures, try not to stick to so many straight edged lines, and work on telling a story with your designs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips, I will try to get better
  • Dev4stator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GRYQ64G.png
    My second work on digital drawing

This weapon design is taken...
  • Dev4stator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkaaJPM.png
    I went nuts on making the 3rd one!

This weapon is also taken... just showing off my skills (novice)
  • Sir. Evil_Donut
    dev why do u hate penguins stop drawing teapods -__-
  • Dev4stator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dev why do u hate penguins stop drawing teapods -__-

kmtE3US.png
  • Dev4stator