Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[NSFW] Tairii Artsy Fartsy Thread

Tairii
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tairii polycounter lvl 9
Hello Polycount!

I've made a few threads before this one, but it's time that I get serious about practicing and working on improving my 2D. I created this thread mainly to post art and receive critique; however, I also hope to give you guys a look at all the little nuances that make me who I am. Therefore, there will be a combination of art posts, studies, and blog-like posts EVERY DAY! Best part is, because I made this public, I think it will change my mindset about practice and I will be more inclined to work harder.

Also, as I learn fundamentals and other tricks to become a concept artist, hopefully this will leave a trail for other motivated individuals to follow, heck, you guys can even do some of the work while I am and we can compare!

Since I am a compulsive planner (an OCD thing), I'm going to list some of the upcoming topics for the next week:

- Introduction
- Art from the past year
- Perspective 201 (I've had minimal, formal perspective training).
- Homefront, a conceptual piece
- Train, Trains, and more Trains!

Without further ado;

INTRODUCTION

Hi,

You can call my Tairii, Ty, T, whatever endearing term you want to assign to me. I'm 19, and I go to George Mason University. I'm currently getting a BA in Art and Visual Technology with a concentration in Painting. I'm working on transferring to a BFA. I love painting, playing League of Legends, and learning new things! I aspire to be an Art Director one day (yea, weird dream), but I plan on going in entry level as a concept artist (yea, super hard). After my undergrad, I want to get my MFA. I'm choosing between Painting at Yale (First choice!!!), University of Washington or Laguna College of Art and Design or Illustration at School of Visual Arts or Maryland Institute College of Art.

Some of my future plans:
- I want to intern at a game company!
- I want to have some of my work shown in a gallery before my senior year (MFA programs in fine art prefer their applicants to already be showing in group/solo shows).

oh and favorite artist: Doug Aitken

I hope this gives a decent picture of me.

Art from the Past Year

I haven't photographed all of my pieces yet (besides, I'm using a cell phone camera q.q) So I'll post a few of them every so often. My final for drawing was on sex and sexuality, which is why this is marked NSFW. It won't be up today, I need to find time to photograph it without my parents seeing it. q.q

Here are a few pieces with some commentary from myself. Feel free to critique these as I am striving to improve all the time!

5idjxLA.jpg
Charcoal, 8.5x11

Bananas, did these in December when I lacked confidence in my abilities. They definitely were a pick-me-up which made me work a lot harder during winter break and spring semester. Other than that, just another observation drawing.

y8MS8D2.jpg

Did these in May. I tried to render a full figure in Photoshop a few weeks earlier and it went HORRIBLE. I felt like I had no control of the brush. It's funny because my Painting professor was surprised at how well I control oil paint, considering that's the hardest aspect of oil painting. Meanwhile, I can't control digital paint! Anyways, it's just a practice of using different techniques to render (each one is rendered in a different manner).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8yUZFTZSurOZXgtUUR1b3BYb0E/edit?usp=sharing

My art video! Probably the best piece I've done in my life. It's self explanatory. Feel free to add/continue the dialogue!

bOtZjy7.jpg

1Namxnt.jpg

Adding one more.

Drawing midterm, spent a TON of time doing this. Besides being pretty to look at, this piece emphasizes the never ending cycle of sadness. A powerful contrast to that, using art to work through your frustrations and problems through repetitious action. Definitely up there with some of my best.

---

So *four* pieces! Tune in tomorrow for Perspective 201 and more Art from the Past Year!

- Tairii