Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

TF2 Female Characters Mod Project

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
Hi!
So I am working on a TF2 mod much like what ChemicalAlia was doing a few years back. Essentially I am creating female versions of the classes for use in-game and in Source Filmmaker as well.
A very talented artist who goes by the username Makani has given me permission to use her designs for the classes, so I will be basing my models off of her drawings.
First up is Fem Sniper, and here is Makani's interpretation of her:

FemSniperMakani_Ref_zps3147fb12.jpg

And here is the latest progress. Finished for now, though I might revisit the face:

Model_help_zps75a1487f.jpg

Model_help1_zpsf4198593.jpg

formakani_femsniper_roxypox_zps10890579.jpg

Also, here's a little "Meet the Team" video me and a few others made for her:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc[/ame]

Would love to hear your thoughts!

-Rox

Replies

• Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colour me impressed!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I approve of this idea! My only crit would be I think her nose is ever so slightly too thin.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :D Worked on the face a bit more. This look any better?

Model_help_zpseaf73c22.jpg

I also cleaned up the body/added accessories.

Model_help1_zps9e88a908.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Hoping to move onto unwrapping soon.
  • perrryz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work!
    Her nose tip is too long in my opinion. Any way of changing it?
    And the shape of her upper body is a bit too thin. Try making her.. fatter, see how it turns out :)
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops! Forgot to update this thread! D:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183746953
    She's done for now. We released her to the community a little while ago. I may revisit her face eventually because I am still not happy with it.
    I also worked on a little "Meet the Team" short for her which you can see here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your Australian accent is a little bizarre, but otherwise that was super impressive work, mate. Nice one.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nose is a little pointy.

But the Femme-Bot-Update would be a killer addition to the game.

Just wonder how complicated it would actually be in practice. Do all current hats/misc work? Or do they need femme versions? Or would all the current hats be Mann hats and they'd have to start releasing femme hats.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Australian accent is a little bizarre, but otherwise that was super impressive work, mate. Nice one.
    My voice actress is Canadian, so she tried her best. XD She doesn't get to meet too many authentic Aussies over there, so she had to rely on movies/tv shows to get an idea of the accent.
    Just wonder how complicated it would actually be in practice. Do all current hats/misc work? Or do they need femme versions? Or would all the current hats be Mann hats and they'd have to start releasing femme hats.
    See, I think the community would have a field day making lady merc hats/items. But yeah, I just don't know how complicated it would be to add that many more working character models to the game.
    My programmer buddy, Maxxy, actually fixed a majority of Sniper's hats/items to fit her, so I can't imagine that it would be that difficult. Still would take some time.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Don't get me wrong, it's great work.

Just curious what the hat speculation would be. I agree the community would have a field day making items.
    Don't know if current contributors would be too excited to fix/make different versions of hats they already made though.

BUT, if all the items were mann/femme only it would be a great money boon for Valve, we'd all be starting from scratch with collections.
  • Jncocontrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thats impressive. I hope to see a sniper and maybe other females version make it in the game.
  • DefenseOfTheAutism
    This is such an amazing idea! I seriously love this so much. Fantastic work!
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's a great job and you've done really well but I do have some reservations. I worry that all the female models will just end up being a bit too pretty and good looking. I think there's a real tendency in games to only have attractive female faces and bodies and I'm not sure if that would suit the style all that well. You could definitely get a bit more of the sniper's face in to her's. I think you've done a great job, but it's lost some of his personality.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's a great job and you've done really well but I do have some reservations. I worry that all the female models will just end up being a bit too pretty and good looking. I think there's a real tendency in games to only have attractive female faces and bodies and I'm not sure if that would suit the style all that well. You could definitely get a bit more of the sniper's face in to her's. I think you've done a great job, but it's lost some of his personality.

This model is based off of Makani's character as seen in the sketches on my main post. She's not meant to be a carbon copy of the original Male Sniper with his exact personality. I honestly wouldn't bother modeling her if she was, because where's the appeal in that?
    If TF2 is ever going to have lady mercs, I'd like to see them have their own personalities and visual designs, just like how the original male mercs are treated. That's why I'm handling this mod the way I am.
    As for her being too attractive, that's a matter of personal preference. I've had people tell me that she's semi-naked because of her exposed midrift (I'm serious, it's hilarious) to that she's not pretty or attractive enough.
    This is just a fan project, so nothing is stopping other people from making their own female classes that meet their own standards. I liked the way Makani designed her, so that's how I'm going to model her.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm re-awakening this thread because me and Maxxy have decided to update the Fem Sniper mod since we both know more now than we did last year. I am currently updating her mesh to better reflect the concept, to fix proportions, and to fix geometry issues. Maxxy will be updating the face posing and skinning on the rig.
    I'm currently re-working the face right now. Still need to fix a few things like the lips but I'm definitely happier with it now.

Model_help_zps0d703149.jpg

Model_help_zps2ebe8bf2.jpg

New face is on the left. Sorry for the lazy screenshot.
  • Jimmarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks amazing, fits right in!
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I have no idea how I missed this thread. I'd love to see some updates!
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    I think this is one hell of an idea and would totally love to see female characters in the game .The only thing is I think like above it would be a ton of work ,though hats and stuff wouldnt really be hard to convert it would just be a placement issue .I say submit it and see what happens .If you could get it as a reskin of a character that would be sick .it would work .