Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Bathroom Environment

Hello all.
I've been working on a bathroom environment inspired from a scene in Max Payne 3, and would like some feedback based on scale and such before I begin texturing. I'm not worried about lighting just yet, so please don't comment regarding lighting.

Thanks in advance :)

Environment:
HYPFJCW.jpg

Reference:
pB5B13N.jpg

Replies

• chazzur
    I looks pretty close to the reference. Only thing I would say is the bath and the toilet seem a little large.
  • djgardner
    So I adjusted the toilet and tub a small bit, and completed the majority of the texturing. Wanted to get some feedback on the overall look and lighting as of now, before I finish this piece and prepare the final renders.

Thanks in advance!

Ak6fQEb.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    great start, so far its just like from reference
  • Ryper
    You need lots more "grime" in my opinion. Your structural pillars on the right are too far apart as well, you need more of them showing and closer together :). Apart from that though, the layout is pretty bang on.

Keep it up
  • chazzur
    I would try and push a little more light in the toilet area since it seems to get so dark. Also agree with the need of "grime" specifically on the floor and walls.
  • djgardner
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    I'm going to implement the suggestions and see how they fit, then follow-up with an update. :)
  • djgardner
    Current Update: Added more grunge to walls and floors. Adjusted wooden studs to better match reference. Darkened floors and floor tiles. Adjusted lighting in toilet area.

Let me know what you think. :)

qjprnTS.jpg
  • djgardner
    - Bumping -

Was hoping people could let me know if the image is to dark to see on their monitors, and/or get additional feedback on the overall piece.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 14
    Yes this image is very dark on my monitor; the images earlier you posted are much clearer.

I like this so far, be sure to nail the grime/gunk and color variation on the floor.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You made it darker and lost a lot of the interest as well with the lightning change. Everything feels flat now.
  • djgardner
    This is getting frustrating. My main computer is a Mac, and I boot camp to PC for UDK and Max. When I view the renders on PC and inside UDK, they aren't dark. However, when I view on Mac (same monitor) the images are really dark. Sounds silly, but it's true.

I increased the lighting by 0.2 to make it a bit brighter and brightened my environment colour a bit, to a dark-to-mid grey, but I don't want it to be too bright as I'm trying to replicate the reference image.

Thoughts on my situation?

gwt0ktW.jpg
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    djgardner wrote: »

Ak6fQEb.jpg

This one is closer to the concept lighting than the one you just posted(Probably just need to increase the light falloff so that its not blasting the room as much). If you find the middle ground you will probably nail it. Mostly though.. Focus on the grime and detail at this point. Get it in a workable state lighting-wise and put all of the funk in it. Also it would be sweet if you could get rid of that hard edge on the wall next to the tub. Just my 2 cents. Keep it up!
  • djgardner
    @chriszuko: Big fan of your work. Thanks for the feedback. I adjusted the falloff; it looks better. I will keep experimenting till I find the right fit. I darkened both the floor and floor tiles, so I'm not sure if that would effect the overall mood and make it feel darker, but the tan-ish floor and tiles looked to clean too me.
    In terms of grime and grunge, all the assets have some sort of grime in either the diffuse or spec, so I'm not sure how much more I can add without over doing it. suggestions?