Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-painted grass TEST

Polynaut
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
Just curious what everyone's opinions were on this hand-painted grass texture.

CicadaWangTileTest_02_zpsebe7e7d8.jpg~original

Ignore the flowers for now.. I just duplicated the layers and added hue/saturation, so the flowers got all jacked up.

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    the stones could use some love. I made rocks recently think less saturated X 20
    also I'd make the stones smaller cause as it stands now you will be able to tell it's tiling, same thing with the pink flowers. As for hand painted I'm not a very good judge on that.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Really nice work on the painting. I like the texture.

I do agree with the points the dudealan has raised. I do believe that it would tile a bit repetitively with your current rock placement.

My only crit is that your grass blades seem to have quite a deep gradient, giving the impression that they have reasonable 'height'.

If this is the case, i think that it would be quite effective to perhaps paint some grass blades overlapping the rocks or brushing up the sides of them? As it is currently, your rocks appear quite prominent as their borders/outlines aren't being intercepted by anything.

Hope that makes sense.

All the best :)
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I complete agree with all your comments. The stones and flowers were part of a test I was doing, but I ended up flattening the layers and I didn't feel like going back to erase them for this test. I'll will take all this into consideration the next time I create hand-painted grass.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know why but that grass looks really tasty from up close.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    I think it's a different spin on hand-painted, with the photos used in there. Interesting, but I think I'd prefer a purely painted texture (That's just me), only because you run the risk of art styles clashing in the scene.
    I think you could put some of the grass blades on layers that are above the rocks, as it's obvious they are just a top Photoshop layer, which doesn't look very natural.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faltzer - thanks.

Jamie - I agree. I'm working on completely hand-painted stuff, but I'm practicing working from photos for now.. I guess like training wheels! The rocks and everything were just a quick test also.

The actual blades look like they were cut and dropped on the ground to me also.. I really need to work on getting them to look like they are growing. I'm working on something tonight and I'll post when I get it done.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is test #3. I'm happier with the result.

CicadaWangTileTest_03_zpscae15cf0.jpg~original

When I do the final texture, I'm going to create a lot more blades of grass and the actual grass clumps will not repeat so much. This is only a test.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the test scene I'm working with. Trying out a new style because my portfolio is very much realistic game art.

FinalScene_WIP_02_zpsc82a60f2.jpg~original

Any crits would be appreciated.

EDIT - ignore the large amount of repeating items.. this is just a test to try and nail down my style.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Are you going for hand painted everything, or just grass? Just wondered, if its the former it would be better to view it with flat shading without spec.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the image with no spec.