Home Unreal Engine

Hair Material Issue

Hi polycounts forums, I have a problem which is that I can't seem to get the hair translucency to look good on any mesh. For example: problemwithhair1.jpg That is a mesh that consists of three hair clumps, it's just a test to see how hair is gonna look. So For that one I made a texture in photoshop that has RGB information for the hair diffuse and an alpha channelhairproblem3.png And it was saved as a 32bit targa image with the alpha an everything. However, I can see right through every part of it, and this is not what I want, I want only the parts that aren't fully white to be transparent. So then I saved the alpha channel as a separate map for transparency and the diffuse separate without an alpha, and I applied each individually but I get this: problemwithhair2.jpg. Now, I can see that that one is solid where it should and transparent where it should be, but it creates thiw dark jagged patches that do not belong to the diffuse and look just really bad overall, like some artifacting but I am not sure what it is.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to make hair (material) look good? and I know you can in UDK because in for example Arkham City, you check the character models and say..Talia's hair looks like it has a detailed high quality transparency map and everything looks clean and good.