Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DL-44 Han solo's trusted heavy blaster

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
Hi polycount!:D

I'am about to end my school studies at playground squad (swedish game dev school). Me and some classmates have just finished our game Caverns of Kappulus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NIebjyYVAXU
So now its back to making portfolio pieces! :D

This will offically be my last portfolio piece before start searching for internship: I will try to remake the Han solos blaster in a ingame manner, that could possibly fit into a battlefront 3 (fps/tps)

two of my main refs:
StarWars-HanSoloBlaster7.jpg

StarWars-HanSoloBlaster6.jpg

This is what I have been able to make:

zHvrkcd.jpg

Lo50IYL.jpg

forumfPqRriv.jpgfPqRriv.jpg

luJHbG9.jpg

f2JGPNc.jpg

PtL6bOW.jpg

Comments and critics are more than welcome! :] everything about presentation, model, texture!

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice model. The Wooden handle is off and I can see some artifacts in your texture as well as some smoothing group problems. Topology looks pretty good. Can we see some texture pages?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For additional references, keep in mind that the original was based on a Mauser C96:
    Mauser_C96_30Mauser_FullSize.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That block thing on front looks too wide

Your texture is really noisy and strange. Did you do that with DDO ? The render itself dosnt look fine either. There is a lot of aliasing and its just not clean at all.
    Id redo the texture completely. DDO is a nice help for stuff, but try not use it as 1 button finished program. Your base texture is like just flat color and then you put some wear on it. Do that properly, take time for it. Also bake AO.
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Also some parts look extremely low poly. Most notably would be the cylinders on the side of the gun. I don't think it would hurt to add a few more sides. Do you have your high poly?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'd kill the bloom in your render. When I first saw your scope I thought "flashlight" because of how bright that glass was. And that's just now how glass reacts to light
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critics! I am fixing stuff right now!
    More polys, fixing one of the apparent smoothing errors and clarifying some textures

sipher3325: What kind of smoothing errors did you saw? And what do you mean by the wooden handle is off? Is it because the color is wrong or something else?

Shrike: Yes, it was made in dDO. I'll try to make the texture texture more clean! And yes, I should totally do a final ambient occlusion after exploded the mesh

BobtheGreatll: You are totally right, I will start fixing the small cylinders on the side and fixing the handle a bit. I do have highpoly but its not the kind of highpoly that is posatable. its exploded and has a lot of floaters

BringMeASunkist: Yes,a friend of mine reacted the same way which is something that should fixed. I will try to achieve a more glassy in the render! =)

Here are all the textures everybody:

GUN: 1024x1024
    DefwhOx.jpg
    8UwV7gC.jpg
    pDdMFWG.jpg
    nKu3YtD.jpg

Scope: 1024x1024
    BALGEng.jpg
    puAZl6S.jpg
    5YoXgt5.jpg
    9nRAjrC.jpg

My scheme for now is

MODEL - Add more polys, fix smoothing problem / normal tanget problems
    TEXTURE - Some texture faults, seprate material more, try make the scope more dirty (maybe?). Do a post ambient occlusion on the finalized model
    RENDER - Make the scope look like a scope and not a flashlight
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    imo it looks way too "dDo-ish"...try to bring in some your unique details (maybe some grunge, dirt, or oily spots)
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I think sipher3325 tried to say, that the ripples in the wooden Grip are distorted.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This doesn't look bad. I think it needs more love but it's on the right track. Aside from what was also mentioned about texturing, my advice would be to also clean up your texture maps. If you are going to use this in your portfolio and possible show off the textures as well, you should clean up all the normal artifacts, the random white spots in your diffuse, etc. Also, why is the scope glowing? that looks a bit odd to me. anyways, keep it up!
  • Chriagr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Work:), it's well on its way. I agree with the above criticism, You should make it look not so "dDo"-ish and remove the random white blobs, and i think some more grime in areas like the nozzle could bump up the end result. I dont know if it's the reflection but there is some strange smoothing error in the attached image.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for comments and insight!

I broke my maya with the some UVmapping things. So I will have to fix that, will at least take a few hours to get it back (which I might do MAYBE tomorrow). But I successfully had a backup with a texture I made. There might be some problems I haven't had gotten around, but if you guys see any problems with the new model just say!

What do you guys think about these shots?

TqLaNzO.jpg
    D9w5jHW.jpg
    u7JNJkp.jpg
    G7r6K4a.jpg
    FJvbtG5.jpg
    B4h7qjb.jpg

Any critic about presentation, model, texture is welcome!
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Here some suggestions. But please... turn off that cromatic aberration. It distracts the eyes.
    Oh, and sorry for my bad handwriting :/

Cheers
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Knecht! I have fixed that now and I've uploaded the pictures on my portfolio. My deadline is today so I won't make anymore big changes =)