Home Technical Talk

Anyone familiar with .o3d, .ani, .chr file types?

just trying to see if anyone out there might have an idea of an issue the team Im working with is having with importing character rigs and animations into an engine.

When importing an original max character rig with animation into their engine there are no issues.

When they use my maya, exported into FBX the model weirds out during action changes and switching between cycles.

There are 3 steps in the process of testing for them. They import my fbx into max to test, it works fine. They use their exporter to test in their editor, it works fine. When they get it into the engine it goes crazy. When going inbetween actions like: walk to attack, idle to walk, etc etc the model flips 90 degrees sideways.

We found out its happening with the three characters Iv modeled and rigged so far.

I thought it might have something to do with mayas native joint orientation vs maxs joint orientation. Im tried just about every adjustment to orientation that I know(for the record I dont consider myself a very good rigger, 1-10 Im a 4-5 maybe)

Besides the model flipping sideways, everytime they send me a test rig and animation from max all the joints rotate in the opposite direction they should. Not knowing enough about rigging in maya or max is causing this to happen obviously.