Home Unreal Engine

Help: wierd ligthing/Lightmap gradeint In my Ipad build of the game

http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12090&d=1370073733

http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12091&d=1370073742

http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12089&d=1370073723

Hello guys, need help with this issue with ligthing in my UDK mobile game.

on my ipad and pc, there seams to be some gradient colours on my lightmap or shadows. This was screencap from my ipad2.

This was baked using Production ligthing and with a 2048 lightmap size.

(PS: "light needs rebuild" is for the other areas in the map, this is a test area i baked to show the issue)

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    This is always to be expected to a certain extend on mobile and PC due to compression, however on mobile it is absolutely vital that:

Always Optimize Content for Mobile is enabled.
    Cache PVTRC is enabled.
    Lighting is built in production as it alters the compression format.
    Repack Lightmaps is enabled.
    You use the latest UDK as the latest UDK has a different order of compressing lightmaps that greatly improve quality.

If the problem persist after those steps, then you've simply hit the limits of the engine.
  • szhafri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences wrote: »
    This is always to be expected to a certain extend on mobile and PC due to compression, however on mobile it is absolutely vital that:

Always Optimize Content for Mobile is enabled.
    Cache PVTRC is enabled.
    Lighting is built in production as it alters the compression format.
    Repack Lightmaps is enabled.
    You use the latest UDK as the latest UDK has a different order of compressing lightmaps that greatly improve quality.

If the problem persist after those steps, then you've simply hit the limits of the engine.

OMG Hourences!!!! your like a legend in the UDK comunity!. I Love your tutorials!!. THank you soooooooo much for replying me and helping me out!. Hope one day i could be as good as you >_<

Im trying out the things you suggested. Where do i find repack lightmaps by the way?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem.

Cache PVTRC is in the Engine ini, Always optimize content in EditorUserSettings (or editor options menu), Lightmap repacking in Lightmass ini.

Cache PVTRC acts as backup for Always Optimize. Always Optimize doesn't always properly save to PVTRC (Mobile tex format), and if it doesn't then the game will do a fast low quality compression upon cooking. You wouldn't want that, cache PVTRC helps with that.

Repack lightmaps means Lightmass will try to pack the lightmaps in square textures, as mobile devices cannot render non square textures thus any such lightmaps would render in lower quality.

In a production rebuild the lightmap compression is part of the actual rebuild. If you use any other rebuild setting the compression happens upon saving the level instead, but that compression is faster and lower quality.

You can use fairly large lightmaps also. They are compressed heavily so the memory impact on mobile is doable. If you look at Epic Citadel, that has tons of big lightmaps.
    Use stat memory on the mobile device to see mem usage. Look at the texture category because that includes lightmaps as well. Compare between different lightmap sizes/builds.
  • szhafri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences wrote: »
    No problem.

Cache PVTRC is in the Engine ini, Always optimize content in EditorUserSettings (or editor options menu), Lightmap repacking in Lightmass ini.

Cache PVTRC acts as backup for Always Optimize. Always Optimize doesn't always properly save to PVTRC (Mobile tex format), and if it doesn't then the game will do a fast low quality compression upon cooking. You wouldn't want that, cache PVTRC helps with that.

Repack lightmaps means Lightmass will try to pack the lightmaps in square textures, as mobile devices cannot render non square textures thus any such lightmaps would render in lower quality.

In a production rebuild the lightmap compression is part of the actual rebuild. If you use any other rebuild setting the compression happens upon saving the level instead, but that compression is faster and lower quality.

You can use fairly large lightmaps also. They are compressed heavily so the memory impact on mobile is doable. If you look at Epic Citadel, that has tons of big lightmaps.
    Use stat memory on the mobile device to see mem usage. Look at the texture category because that includes lightmaps as well. Compare between different lightmap sizes/builds.

Manage to fix it by using the latest Febuary 2013 Build and having the "Always Optimize Content for Mobile" is enabled .Thank u sooo much Houreces!!!.Really appreciate your help !. Btw can you make more UDK mobile tutorial videos in the future? Your last video(airplane game) was really awesome and really helped me in developing this game :).Best of luck with all of your projects :)
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am actually very close to announcing and releasing pretty much exactly that :)
  • Hourences