Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M.U.D.D. - Mechanical Underground Drilling Droid

Hi all, have been building this character for a game me and some other classmates have been working on, and here's what my progress looked like.
Lots of these images were just snapped real quick to share with my group for quick pointers.

This was the reference that I started with. I liked the overall design, but felt the drill needed to be a little more menacing if it was going to be the boss character.

hTfRihW.jpg

These were just some drill variations. just trying to see which looked nicer.

Q05Xazk.png

Leg with UV test

9nY5OK1.png

Threw together a body and placed the parts to see how it was looking. Kinda blocky :/

5m0qPBK.png
LiAWCkf.png

Wasn't really diggin' the body shape so a bit of a reform was in order. The at st from starwars was what I looked at the most. Was also told to beef up the drill a little more, so I ended up stacking up, heh.

y5MwGow.jpg
SPK353D.jpg

With 5 parts it seemed way too front heavy, so reduced it down to 3, and it felt like a good fit. The legs needed some bottom support and gave it a bit of a belly. We decided it wouldn't just be a combustion engine, so added some power cores to the back and pipes that would channel energy to the front end.

OmE9FIZ.jpg

The top front seemed to bare, so played around with some ideas. ended up with a rock shield to deflect debrie away from the cameras (eyes)

dAth9nE.png
XDDLQzM.png

Took the main body into Zbrush and added some wear and tear

04EVgZA.jpg

Messed around with Ndo2 for some drill normals

RF34F5pl.jpg

Didn't really take pictures for a while after that, but then suddenly BAM, textures. Reduced the geometry on the drill a ton and it still managed to look rather fierce. The first one is a mental ray render, but the bottom 2 are rendered using marmoset, with a nice outline stroke to them. The way the look in marmoset is more how it will look once we get it in UDK.

yuEFSLJ.jpg

Marmosets
GOy3xcK.jpg
US2SSyL.jpg

So yeah, there it is. Hope you all like it. It's pretty much done now and I'm just working on the animations, but if you've got things too say I'm happy to hear them.

Replies