Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique requested

sevndaythry
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sevndaythry polycounter lvl 6
[url]Http://www.jacobr-artist.com[/url]

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of years now and decided to finally become more active.

I graduated from Full Sail's online program last November and wanted to get some feedback from some veterans on my portfolio. All constructive comments welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a veteran by any means, but I'm a CalArts student and they subject us to portfolio reviews often, so hopefully I can help a little.

The main thing that comes to mind is that there's not much here. You've got two props and three environments. They're decent works, but there just isn't much to look at.

For what is there, I want to say that the lighting needs some work as it currently detracts from the texturing. Your textures seem to be pretty good, but the lackluster lighting makes them look bland. If the lighting is all baked in, it needs some serious work to punch up the contrast and make the scenes work as art pieces. I can say that I'm really digging the temple scene, and the farm house stands out as your weakest.

I also want to note that the way your portfolio website is set up, I almost didn't realize that there were more than 4 images to look at in the environments section. As a general rule, you want to make absolutely certain that recruiters can see your work easily and clearly, because the larger companies get a LOT of applications so you've got to capture their attention if you're going to get them to put any effort into looking through your work. Right now that little "View More" button is kind of hard to see and if they don't notice it right off, they aren't likely to put forth any effort to find it.

Overall I'd say you've got a decent portfolio, but you desperately need more of it. Full Sail is attractive because it's such a fast degree, but to get a job you're going to need to work just as hard out of school as you did in.
  • sevndaythry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback. I agree the lighting needs work, and I don't have enough in there. I e been having a tough time lately with producing stuff, it just never looks good to me. I really don't even like the stuff that's in my portfolio, but I don't have anything else to put there.

I will fix the issues with the gallery tonight when I get home.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Take a step back.

Reduce to two pages, Portfolio and Resume. The header is gigantic and NO WIPs. Face on resume is generally a bad idea.

Can't right-click save-as the images due to whatever you're using to pop-up the images is broken. If an employer can't save your portfolio for presenting you as a potential hire, you'll be skipped.

There's no construction shots, breakdowns, etc. Just a pic or two of each piece. Showing how it's done is important in displaying skills.

It's a strategic mistake every time people do this temple scene in UDK considering it's the same scene included by default, and an individual isn't going to out-do Epic. Additionally, your version is excessively lower resolution, and has none of the tech. This holds you back. From there, other pieces clearly feature UV and smoothing errors as well as textures that just look like googled photos.

Put this portfolio on the back-burner and spend the next three months focusing on one, portfolio quality scene per month. Post them on the forums and actively seek feedback on each step.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your website is visually unpleasant ++. Revert all your webgraphics to black or white and start from scratch, that would be the best.

Do not do this thin blue line on top. Do not use those grey overlay mouseoer states.
    Why is your mouseover text red ?
    Dont do such a bar with a gradient on top (the brown one)
    Gradients are best subtle. If you dont know how to use them, stay with flat color.
    If you almost cant notice them, then theyre good. (if used as replacement for flat)

Get away from that light blue. Its ugly and dosnt fit. Get a palette from adobe kuler, a complementary one, which is not too intense.
    Choose other fonts, preferably sans serif.
    Make sure its easily readable.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I think you should also think a little more about the design of your portfolio. Use more neutral colors, we will focus more on your 3D that way.
    Also i learned that "less clicks is always better". As Cholden said, less pages. Put more stuff on your main page. As a guy can look at your portfolio and just have to scroll down to see what you are capable of doing. :)
  • sevndaythry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everybody for the replies. Its definitely not what I was hoping to hear, but it is exactly what I wanted. Truth.

I agree with all of you and you have given me some great advice.

Cholden, I will be doing what you've suggested by completing 1 portfolio quality scene per month for the next 3 months. Starting with the noob challenge for June.

Shrike and suba, Thanks for the feedback on the design of the site. After I get my portfolio in order I will be doing a complete rebuild of the site starting with a new color palette. Although I am fond of the current palette If the consensus is that it should be different why shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks again