Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face study

Quick face I sculpted in mudbox today.

I am aware the lips need to be fix but I want to get some feedback before I work on them.

Jws9Xco.png
BXVD9EQ.png

Replies

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Here are some quick guidelines to check your facial proportions:

From the front:
    1. Eyes are halfway between the top of the head and bottom of the chin.
    2. The eyebrow, somewhat above that (use reference)
    3. The bottom of the nose is halfway between the eyebrow and the bottom of the chin.
    4. The bottom of the lower lip is halfway between the bottom of the nose and the bottom of the chin.
    5. A vertical line can be drawn from the corner of the eye to the side of the nostrils.
    6. A vertical line can be drawn from the pupil to the corner of the mouth.
    7. The angle of the jaw is aligned vertically with the corner of the mouth.

From the side:
    1. The boundaries of the head can be roughly outlined by a square that is slightly wider than it is tall.
    2. The ear lies in the middle of this square.
    3. The eye brow aligns with the top of the ear.
    4. The bottom of the nose aligns with the bottom of the ear.
    5. Notice the alignment of the brow, nose, and lips.

Keep in mind that these are just basic guidelines. There is a lot of variation between individuals. Use any system of proportions as a starting point, while being sure to pay careful attention to where the reference differs from the guidelines.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the guide lines Brandon but I already learned all of them from a friend, I am just doing my best to apply them to the head now in combination with the reference I am using .

Update

cVH39lP.png
    qWcBFmN.png
    qOGLxlb.png
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Are you going for realistic proportions? If you are the first thing I would consider is taking down the size of the eyes. To me she looks a little like an alien with eyes that large. If it is supposed to be stylized could we see what your referencing? That way it would be easier to tell how close you are to the reference :)
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'm with Krista on this one, it would be helpful for you to post the reference that you are using, because even after your update, many of the proportions I suggested checking are still off quite a bit.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Reference : http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/Work/haz5/progress/dizzy_orthos2.jpg

I am too tire right now to continue.
    I will work more on the face tomorrow.

qOGLxlb.png
    8TG72ch.png
    GPEOGnJ.png
  • HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    You are on the right direction. As you define more on her forehead (as you can see from your reference. the darker part is indented from both sides) she'll look pretty close.

Oh, and from your 3/4 view. You may want to define better on the mouth barrel. You may check out this reference : http://www.jayespace.com/human-head-2/mouth.html
    Even a stylize character still it should have it. Once you have that, it'll be easier to fit the teeth and gums inside the mouth.

Way to go, keep it up
  • Faltzer
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Latest update is looking great, nice work and good improvement!
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NVtbawD.jpg

Looking good. The only major difference from your reference looks like the ear placement and profile. You can pull everything from the nose down to the chin forward ever so slightly. At that point, you'll have everything pretty much in the right spot. All that's left is refining the forms. Be sure to check out HapZungLam2's link, there is a lot of good stuff in there.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a hard time refining some ares but here is what I got so far base on Brandon advise.

3uM3Q7p.png
    o5mq6EE.png
    FrRyGiq.png
    aSZc543.png
    OUsBGAX.png