Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] A Witcher 2 Sword

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
redhonour polycounter lvl 8
Trying to model a sword I found in the art book of mein favorite game The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

Iz my sculpt. I'm also trying to practice different presentation render techniques at the same time!

Software used so far:
Zbrush, 3DS Max, Photoshop

Supplements:
Dutch apple pie, vodka

tumblr_mnbf9zbau51rghl70o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnbf9zbau51rghl70o2_r3_500.jpg

I've since moved on to the low poly and texturing, but I will gladly take any critique on my sculpt.

Replies

• redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mnjsscJ1vi1rghl70o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mnjsscJ1vi1rghl70o2_1280.jpg

I thought it projected decently... but I noticed some errors once I started to texture. Yeesh. Back to the drawing board.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    The blade isnt reading as metal, is it supposed to?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think it is suppose to be silver, if I remember the game correctly.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    The boble of the handle looks flat, the handle is also missing a leather spot and the blade needs a more defined edge also a more silver colour.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Are your normals reversed? They look so.. If so, flip the Green Channel
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

As for the blade, I truly don't know what the material is. I don't believe it's a Witcher's silver sword... It's a concept I found in CDP's artbook, but I don't really remember the sword from the game. However, I do want it to look like metal (not silver) so I'll damn sure try to fix it.

Josh: Hey thanks, I must've been up late to have missed the leather thing. And when you say "more defined edge" you saying it needs to look sharper?

Erich: I don't think they're reversed... Everything that I want to be popping out/sinking in is doing that. I'll post up the normals when I get home though just in case

Edit: Normals

f0xhko.jpg

Edit2: *smacks self* Flipping the green totally helped a metric fook-ton. Right on, Erich!
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... so update time.
    • I flipped the green which fixed the normal issues I was too dumb to spot.
    • Tried to make the blade read more as metal by simplifying the colors, adding some contrast with the edge of the blade, and some scratchiness around carved portions of the metal.
    • I added the missing leather to the grip of the sword (which I was too dumb to spot).
    • I altered the hue of the hilt to be more of a brassy metal and threw a photo overlay over it to preview how it could look. Will definitely not leave it like that.
    • I also watched a few videos on how to make and sharpen swords. Hopefully I gleaned something useful from that...

Next up, I wanna work more on the brass parts.

1rem1d.jpg

s5a91f.jpg
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    I like where its going, and the texturing looks good. But the blade still does not look sharp enough for me :)
  • Hurley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great man!

I do agree that the bronze isn't quite there yet, it's still reading like wood or a light tan leather.

For the few areas of the blade with chunks missing, could I recommend adding in some stress fractures/scratches? Those areas feel to clean to me.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Grubber :poly121:

A little more work done:
    • Yellowed up the brass a bit more
    • Painted out a lot of that scratchy photo overlay and added in some gunk
    • Made the edges SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARPERRRRRRRRRRRR OH YEAH
    • Lotsa spec work. A little bit of noise overlayed on the metal spec
    • Just a bit of blood traces for fun

116i51x.jpg
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bad, I totally missed your reply Hurley!

I kinda put this aside cos I thought that was all the feedback I was gonna get.

Now that I have some... back to it!