Home Technical Talk

How do I connect CarPaint & Blinn in Maya

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
TylerGreen polycounter lvl 5
I am trying to connect a (mi_car_paint_phen_x_passes) to a (Blinn) in Maya 2013. I was going to use a layered shader, but whenever I try to connect the CarPaint it opens the connection editor. I and trying to but a Blinn over the Carpaint, to add a decal to my car model.

Thanks

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I could be wrong, but the connection editor opens because there are multiple options and Maya doesn't know which one to choose.

If you are trying to connect the car paint material into the color channel of the Blinn, then you need to choose an appropriate channel on car paint from the left column of the Connection Editor, and then choose Blinn's color channel from the right column.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shader.jpg

you can control transparency in the surface shader, you should also do a search for mix8 layers. there are a few layer node shader floating around.
  • TylerGreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerGreen polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you I got it to work. This is what I did.

hypershade.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gray wrote: »
    shader.jpg

you can control transparency in the surface shader, you should also do a search for mix8 layers. there are a few layer node shader floating around.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you plan on rendering and setting up shaders i recommend you use one of the custom mentalray layered shaders available. mix8layers js_multilayer etc, they are much nicer to work with and more efficient at render time.

glad you got it sorted tho.