Home Technical Talk

3ds Max: Animation layer breaking procedural materials

I have a character that has a bunch of procedural textures on him and I've been importing him into all the scenes of my animation that I had animated earlier with an older version of that character. First couple of scenes, everything was fine, but now, the animation somehow managed to break all the procedural textures. I know it's the animation, because it only happens when I turn on the animation layer, when it's off everything is just fine. Here's how it looks normally, when the animation is off and in all other scenes when the animation layer is on:
normalmaterial.jpg
And when I turn on the animation layer in that scene:
fuckinshitgayfuckedmaterialeatafuckmax.jpg
I even tried making a new material, but no procedural materials work in any way when that animation layer is enabled:
jesusfuckmaxyoufuckingsuckdick.jpg
That's supposed to be a regular "Smoke" material in Max.
As I said, I have 3 other scenes which are set up in mostly the same way, use the same character model and CAT rig, I animated them all in the same way, but the materials work completely fine in them, it only breaks in this one scene.
I thought it might just be something going corrupt in that Max file, but I tried importing the character with animations into a brand new file, I tried deleting the animation layer, remaking a new one and then re-importing that same animation, but everything just leads to the same material corruption.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Procedurals are often 3D textures, so they use world-space UVs to map seamlessly onto a mesh. If the mesh animates through 3D space, the texture will appear to swim, as the model moves across the UV world space. Maybe this is it? You can try setting the procedural to use local-space UVs (which may cause seams). Or you can try baking the procedural into a bitmap texture.
  • simkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Procedurals are often 3D textures, so they use world-space UVs to map seamlessly onto a mesh. If the mesh animates through 3D space, the texture will appear to swim, as the model moves across the UV world space. Maybe this is it? You can try setting the procedural to use local-space UVs (which may cause seams). Or you can try baking the procedural into a bitmap texture.

My materials are all set to Object XYZ mapping and normally, it stays on the model correctly. It only gets completely corrupted in the scene, as I said.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the scene scale different?

Lots of things could cause this, since procedural textures are so "sensitive". I would just bake it into a tiled detail map, and use something like this technique from Neil Blevins (to solve the seams)
    http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/blended_box_mapping/blended_box_mapping.htm