Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Webley MK VI .445 Service Revolver*

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You still need to better define the material on the handle, it looks too similar too the metal. I'd make the diffuse darker and try playing with the spec and gloss.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    The grip doesn't have any texture right now :p At all. literally. So yeah, it will get a lot of work. The last render was just kind of for fun thing. Piece is far from finished :)

Edit: well. Not far. But you know what i mean. lots still left to do.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be trying to make it look like your reference images that you just posted.

temp_zps1190ce62.jpg
  • Ich 666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ich 666 polycounter lvl 9
    I think you went a bit overboard with the scratches on the gun, especially those on the tip of the barrel and the drum. 182_003.jpg
    If you take a look at this pic, you will see that there is a little bit of wear around the drum indents, but it is not as sharp and crisp as in your texture, mainly because the gun is not painted, but treated in some way so it doesnt rust. Keep in mind that the pic posted is a pretty old gun, so it would probably be even less wear on a newer one.

I think you would rather see some more stains on the metal, not as much as here though. You would probably see some kind of oil marks on the gun, assuming it has been cared for, and some very sparse scratches.

You could also try to up the contrast on the spec a bit more, to bring more detail to the metal material. Color-wise I think a blue-ish tint doesnt work that well here, a more neutral/warm tone probably could look better.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Luckily i will be able to use a monitor worth is weight today (cintiq at school) and get a clear picture of how the peice looks. Both my panels kills colors and gamma, So I'm kinda flying blind while texturing. Hopefully today i can get all the layer opacities and strengths dialed in.

And i did realize the edge wear wasn't exactly what i intended. I plan on laying out all the edge wear and add a bit more variation to it and more fade were applicable.

Here are a couple refs that i like the edge wear on:

bOzIqL.jpg

and even though its supper dark:

Tfi8me.jpg

I feel like I can find a balance between nice interesting edge wear without making the gun full on Apocalyptic. Still lots of work to go.

xrc8YM.png
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    coming together really nicely!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks man! Hopefully it gets a lot better as i do more and more refining on the metal, and actually give the grip some love :D

7Ga7GW.png
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Little update. Should be able to do a few more passes on the metal and call it almost kinda maybe done :D Then focus on the grip a bit more.

D7KYcs.png
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just start working on the handle now instead of picking at the metal more. Right now the metal looks damn good and you can always come back to it later. 2 cents.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Your metal is starting to be quite cloudy and uniform looking, study your refs closer!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    yeah. I noticed that once I compared the latest image to the earlier shots. Hopefully i can just adjust opacities and some contrast on the spec. Would hate to go back and redo the layers entirely.

GRRRR. I just looked at the gun on a different monitor, and it looks way different than when i was working on my main panel. -__-

So annoying.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, Did i forget to mention this is suppose to be a plastic toy gun? :)

BAH! I fucking love learning lol.

Thanks for the feedback man. It's much appreciated. I have a serious problem leaving an asset imperfect, So rest assured I will work on this until it looks fucking awesome. Any other advise people have, now or in the future, Don't hesitate to share! Still supper noob at texturing and have lots to learn :)
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Hotter....Colder? Still obvious WIP but hopefully it reads less plasticy now. Hard to pin down a material definition that is so different from gun to gun. Will have to work more on it tomorrow. Seems like there's no time in the day.

*Edit: Gif removed for the sake of keeping the page loadable. Look below*

WIP flats for whatever their worth ATM:

http://i.cubeupload.com/KMKqzH.jpg
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
    Its coming along very nicely. I agree with Millenia its still a bit to cloudy. Maybe have some oil spill on the side where the bullet drum is, they get quite greasy sometimes. my 5 cent :) besides that its looking really sweet! KEEP IT UP!!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Lemme know if I'm getting closer or not. Really just trying new noise methods, various filters. Did some sharpening to remove the "hazyness" of it. Hopefully now some of those cloudy shapes are a little crisper. and others are pretty high frequency, but i feel good with them against the rest of the gun :)

Lemme know what you guys think! Sorry for updating like every day. i just don't want to head to far in a direction that isn't great, So getting feedback in baby steps helps me figure out what works and what doesn't. Thanks guys.

Edit: Disregard the grip in these. need to make it way darker now. and add all kinds of other shit it to make it not suck :P

Edit: images removed! Look down!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Aww yiss! Love that metal! The grip needs some love though. Mind sharing your textures with the public when its done?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah! Definitely :) And yeah, grip has had nearly no love yet. I've been focused on metal mainly. Should be able to polish up the metal tonight and get the grip going in the right direction. and the bullets! Those things need a lot of love :P
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Alright! I think i'm done with the metal. Hopefully i can get the grip and bullets finished up today too and do some final renders/composing.

:)

*Edit: Images removed! look down!*
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Incoming Images!

I think it's about finished. Unless I/you guys see major flaws/game breakers, I think I'll shelf this one.

1zmYfs.png

iLnvLP.png

ETAWB0.png

7xxSLu.png

qnDFSP.png

Flats: http://i.cubeupload.com/GZp5P1.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Materials turned out way better than the original! Great work.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Really nice. Skills to pay the bills.

It'd be sweet to get that working in CS:GO, I'd love to start a collection of polycounter weapons :D
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Its getting there. But some areas of your texture are very bland and have little interest in them, if you don't mind my paintover :)

I think you could definitely push the texture a bit more, and pull out some more little details in certain areas. It looks good, but could be pushed further.

9LIqW6G.jpg

Great model and bake nonetheless!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @Sir Apple: Yeah. Those areas do a appear a bit bland. They are a bit more active in different lighting, But i just took a look at the model and they could use some more stuff in there. Thanks for the feedback!

ghaztehschmexeh: Thanks man! If only the skills would pay the bills, I'd be set. And if anyone ever organizes a mod like that for CS:GO i'd be happy to contribute ^^

@CordellC: Thanks!

After looking at it today, I'm definitely going to make some changes before i call it finished. Once i have a few more pieces for my portfolio, I'll come back to this one and touch it up. Bump up the brushed layer, Make the oil/dark stains a bit more appealing, Make some other layers more intense/less intense.

So keep the feedback coming! I'll revise the model soon :)
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking awesome dude!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice model! Great material definition too.

I guess my only crit is that its very grey - would love to see some more color in here somewhere.

Regardless, very nice looking model :)
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @SA_22 Thanks man!

@Brandoom: yeah. I agree completely. maybe I'll try an old worn/torn lanyard when i update it ^^

as well as make the colors in the diffuse a bit stronger. Seems like i lost them somewhere along the way.

saTF1m.png