Home General Discussion

Sweden! I want Sweden!

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I spent a week in Malmo for No More Sweden. People were great mostly, although you may get iffy customer service if you are not white. The city was clean. Culturally homogenous compared to here. Service at restaurants seemed systematically poor/slow and the food was mostly bad, except kebab/falafel (edit: and baked goods). Sidewalks and public transportation are awesome. Sweden has the best trains of anywhere I went in Europe. Most people speak English very well.

Like other places in Europe, they have a lot of space for outdoors drinking in the park, which is really nice, but not unique.

If you take Stockholm you'll see us swedes complaining the most about public transport and trains :P

But yes, we love walking and as such have built our sidewalks with that in mind!

Even though the restaurant culture here in Sweden is largely owned by immigrants you'll find that all the different cousines have been shaped to be more Swedish than where the food originally originated from, which is a result from our mixed culture being much younger than in for example the US.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    so a heads up most of these are not very sharp... haha my fault for trying to do manual in a dark area. but non the less figured you guys would like to see what basically turned into a polycount meet... haha name those PC peeps!

DSC01370.jpg
    DSC01372.jpg
    DSC01375.jpg
    DSC01377.jpg
    DSC01382.jpg
    DSC01384.jpg
    DSC01389.jpg
    DSC01391.jpg
    DSC01393.jpg
    DSC01394.jpg
    DSC01398.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    DSC01400.jpg
    DSC01402.jpg
    DSC01403.jpg
    DSC01414.jpg

Here are the rest of the randoms minus the night out.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/brj6l2y12hvj4m4/ITd_4-KlIy
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome pics, Jeremy. All the Polycounters!

weee wrote: »
    if you are not white (been an Asian) but speaking English well, will you have some tough time working living there on the daily basis?

I can't speak for every place in Sweden, but here at Massive Entertainment, it's actually made up of about 50% non-Swedish staff (maybe more).

Regarding just coming out here and looking for work may be tricky, because a lot of the wifes/girlfiends of some of the foreign guys here have been trying to find part time jobs, but most seem to require at least a basic knowledge of Swedish (even though almost everyone speaks English). But it is possible.

As for living here without knowing any Swedish, totally easy. It's part of the reason why I haven't learned to speak the language yet. I do intend to, but I'm always able to fall back onto English.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil kan inte tala svenska. Med, han
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Haha TWL wearing that Benelux-tshirt! :D Me and Stellan still got ours too!
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Emil, considering it's a perfect time for you to learn, here is a great series on how to master our beautiful language. :poly121:
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4[/ame]
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Haha yeah gotta represent Benelux :P
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Since when is Chris so good looking.....
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Mathew O wrote: »
    Since when is Chris so good looking.....

I'm not good-looking, you're probably suffering from beer-vision. Are you at work? You shouldn't drink at work :P
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha omg thats awesome... all in the lens son.

and he looks similar to me but more Swedish suave. those two things alone make models... haha
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    If you take Stockholm you'll see us swedes complaining the most about public transport and trains :P

But yes, we love walking and as such have built our sidewalks with that in mind!

Even though the restaurant culture here in Sweden is largely owned by immigrants you'll find that all the different cousines have been shaped to be more Swedish than where the food originally originated from, which is a result from our mixed culture being much younger than in for example the US.

I guess they complain a lot because they care so much. I was expecting a lot from German infrastructure, but it was all a lot worse than Sweden from what I saw :)

It could be that I just got unlucky with food, and I was not there for that long. On the other hand, food here in San Francisco is pretty great.

I was hoping to hang out with you Eld. Saw Jeb up there, but I heard you were super busy! I bet you are working on sweet stuff :P
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man Ninjas i must say this game you guys are working on is turning into the craziest complex but well executed thus far combat system. props ive watched from afar.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    Nice pics! Some of you fuckers are ridiculously photogenic. And I disagree with Chris, you should always drink at work just remember to share :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I guess they complain a lot because they care so much. I was expecting a lot from German infrastructure, but it was all a lot worse than Sweden from what I saw :)

It could be that I just got unlucky with food, and I was not there for that long. On the other hand, food here in San Francisco is pretty great.

I was hoping to hang out with you Eld. Saw Jeb up there, but I heard you were super busy! I bet you are working on sweet stuff :P

We're also known for not know of the horrors with the infastructure in other countries!

Yep, he has been attending that for some time I believe, we're stockholm based though so I have never actually been to malmö :P

I'm hoping to finally go see san fransisco with gdc next year (missed out 2013 for baby reasons), I've heard many great things about the food culture there!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure why this is a thing but why do devs seem to enjoy shuffleboard so much? I've played more of that game at GDC than I've ever done my whole life.

Nice pictures though, looks like it was a fun meetup.