Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some porfolio advice

I am trying to build a portfolio website using blogspot. I am trying to find some way to better organize it. Here is the URL. courtt3d.blogspot.com.
Please tell me what you think and what I can do to improve the organization and readability.

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Courtney :] I got myself a blogger portfolio site too haha xD Yours is looking nice. I would say just try to hide more of the blogger-like interface, such as the timestamps and other such things at the end of each post. Also, there is a lot of scrolling. This is really subjective though. Some people like all the art on one page, but if you have A LOT you might consider adding tabs/thumbnails per project.

If you don't want to do that, maybe just consolidate some of your shots. You can put several rocks or several backpacks into one page, for instance.

I like your per-page layouts - they are nice and clear, easy to read. If you want any other tips, I wrote this up for some friends once on how to turn blogger into a portfolio kind of thing, maybe you will find some helpful things in there ^^ If you have any questions about making tabs/thumbnails on a main page feel free to ask too:

How to Turn Blogger Into A Portfolio Site :)
  • Chrisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
    There is some good art on it, but yeah, I'd have to agree, the layout could be a bit better. One thing for me is that the images could be more "centered" (the left column disappears after some scrolling, then all images are on the right). You can keep the columns, but maybe make them 3, so it is more symmetric.
  • Kypski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kypski polycounter lvl 7
    The layout thing has basically been covered already :)
    My advice would be thinking about which image is really worth showing. Not that there's anything wrong with the content. But I see a lot of models which seem really similar. for example; the backpack. There are 3 different versions, but the only difference are the textures and the wireframes are identical. Try to merge some of your work to make it read better. same goes for the rocks, with only 1 image of one of those rocks you already communicate to your potential client that you can make rocks :)
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hey CourtT,

You have a decent amount of work on your blog. One can tell that you've been busy :) .The artwork is really good and it's obvious that you have a good idea what you'r doing artistically and technically as well.

I'd definitely take the advice of the people who wrote before me. For me, another thing that popped into my mind was the color choices for the blog. You're background is a bit distracting from the artwork. I'd use a very simple background color, maybe a gradient. At the moment, it's color interferes with the pictures a bit.. it's not very clear for the eye. The vertically repeating pattern on the sides bug my eye and on the right side of the page they even go underneath the pictures which is again, distracting.
    This is my input, though :) .
  • CourtT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your input. I will make some changes and will re-post the link once I have had a chance to do that.
  • CourtT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again thanks for everyone's advice. I have made some improvements. Here again is the link courtt3d.blogspot.com. Any additional feedback is welcome.