Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - aboatman - Alien Mercenary (WIP)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
aboatman polycounter lvl 7
Hello there!

I don't usually enter competitions because I don't have much free time to spare, but this one looked so interesting I'm gonna move some stuff around and make the time.

I've briefly read about the Voynich Manuscript during a class I took in college, and right away my brain just clicks over to aliens (being the sci-fi freak that I am...)

Many of the designs on the manuscript I've seen remind me of some sort of map, and the more geometric ones look similar to crop circles.

90206e3f53f4.jpg

If you flip it around...
717e1f84bd6f.jpg

For my interpretation of the manuscript, the pages are the ramblings of a mad man that knew/discovered ancient alien secrets. His knowledge was a danger to the alien race and so they sent my character (a mercenary) to Earth to retrieve the pages once they learned of their existence.

Character background, reference pages and concept sketches to follow.

Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• aboatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of the reference I pulled together.

405a256e38f16p4fg.jpg

x2634962yjxga8cfg.jpg

m0nsuoymcf33klxfg.jpg
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool reference sheets with a LOT of interesting stuff. I like that you are very specific about your concept. This should be very helpful when you move forward. Really like your story too. Clever!
  • Chaouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaouch polycounter lvl 6
  • aboatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have my character sketches updated on here sometime this weekend once I scan them into my computer and finish the character turnaround.

I also wanted to mention that I'll be using Autodesk Maya and Mudbox (2013) to do this project. My process involves doing as much of the modeling in Maya as I can, including the UV layout, before exporting into Mudbox for the details. I'm not much of a fan of starting in Mudbox (or even Zbrush); I like to only use those programs for the details I simply can't get to look right in Maya. For the texturing I'll be doing most of that in Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop. I may use Corel Painter for certain parts, but that really depends on the style I want.

So check back on maybe Sunday? I want my character design nailed down this weekend so on Monday I can start the modeling. Looking forward to some feedback :)
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Quick reminder that you still need to fully register to the contest so that we may provide you with free access to Mixamo's Auto-Rigger and Motions Collection. (You will need to take a few minutes to Auto-Rig and animate your character before submitting your entry.)

Here's how to register: Simply send an email to contest@mixamo.com and provide the following info:

Name: Your First and Last Name
    Login: Your Mixamo login or associated email address
    Source: Where you heard about this contest
    Tools: 3D software you will use to model your character
    Polycount WIP Thread: Your email must include the URL to your work-in-progress thread on Polycount so we can follow your progress

That's it!

We'll then provide you with free Auto-Rigging and animating on Mixamo and send you a confirmation. Thanks!