Home Dota 2

Workshop revenue sharing between multiple artists

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Winslow polycounter lvl 5
I've looked around and only found the revenue sharing between the workshop submitter and Valve. Nothing related to the best way to rev share between multiple people for a specific workshop item. For those of you with multiple people on a workshop item, what did you find to be the best way to handle the rev share?

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Whatever is fair. Usually I split it evenly because we're all friends and the revenue is a bonus, but at the end of the day whatever everyone agrees on that is fair.
  • Winslow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever is fair. Usually I split it evenly because we're all friends and the revenue is a bonus, but at the end of the day whatever everyone agrees on that is fair.

How did you solve any tax problems? If one person has the income and then divides it up later it would cause that person to have more income according to the government.

Obviously first thing is to actually get the item selected by valve to be in the store but I'm curious what sort of problems people have run into with this.

P.S. Love your work :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    When submitting a workshop item you are given the option to split revenue between contributors. Basically you input the percentage split for each contributor associated with the submission, each contributor is given the option to accept/decline and Valve pays each person associated with the submission at the end of each month.
  • Thnk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    I think he meant more like how to decide what's a fair split between like modeler and texture artist. I've been thinking about the same thing for the past couple days> In my case since it's just being split between 2 people (one doing modeling, retopoing, and uvs, and the other doing concepts and textures) it seems like the only fair way is to just go 50/50 since both parts are equally important. So I guess to answer the your question, it's just a matter of discussing who's doing what, and I guess just honestly talking to each other figuring out how much each contribution is worth as it relates to the final result.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Winslow wrote: »
    How did you solve any tax problems? If one person has the income and then divides it up later it would cause that person to have more income according to the government.

Obviously first thing is to actually get the item selected by valve to be in the store but I'm curious what sort of problems people have run into with this.

There are no problems, everyone takes care of themselves, I worked with a good friend in Europe, and I'm in the states, I handled my taxes he handled his. The revenue is split at valve so no one that works on the project has to worry about that. Don't overthink it, don't think about it, just do the work and it will fall into place. The only problem you will deal with is valve, they are the hardest people to talk to and things usually take days, weeks, sometimes months before they work out.

There is also no defined way to split revenue, its not like there is something in place that says concept gets this, modelers get this, it comes down to what's fair, if I did 50% of the work, I expect 50% of the revenue sharing. Simple as that, don't overthink it.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Winslow wrote: »

in the end your extra taxes is your fault to not born on a country that could help that =]

im from Brazil and i cant have that itin that everyone on europe is getting to avoind the USA 30% taxes. So i accept that and share equally with the other guys =]
  • Winslow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk wrote: »
    I think he meant more like how to decide what's a fair split between like modeler and texture artist.
    Actually I did mean how to handle the split from valve not so much deciding 20% to this person etc. But thanks for the reply :)
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    When submitting a workshop item you are given the option to split revenue between contributors. Basically you input the percentage split for each contributor associated with the submission, each contributor is given the option to accept/decline and Valve pays each person associated with the submission at the end of each month.
    This is exactly what I was looking for and glad that Valve takes care of it. Thanks for responding :)

...Don't overthink it, don't think about it, just do the work and it will fall into place. The only problem you will deal with is valve, they are the hardest people to talk to and things usually take days, weeks, sometimes months before they work out.
    I'll keep that in mind. I've heard they are looking into making it streamlined with more community involvement because they view themselves as the current bottleneck.

Thanks everyone for your responses!